Monday, June 5, 2023

Book Review: Finding God in Hidden Places

I'm grateful for the local church library, where I found two audio books on prayer. While there, I noticed Joni Eareckson Tada's Finding God in Hidden Places. At only 3 CDs long, it was a quick and easy listen. Joni is personable, vulnerable, and honest. Most know Joni's story (lifelong paralysis after a diving accident when she was a teen). I love her upbeat attitude and her genuine response to pain and suffering. While it may be hard, it is carrying us closer to God's kingdom and refining us in ways that comfort never will. 

The parts about watching video of her teenaged able-bodied self were especially moving. It reminded me of one of her quotes I had heard about the blessing her wheelchair brings. In her book, Hope... the Best of Things, she wrote an imaginary conversation with God about her wheelchair. "The weaker I was in that thing, the harder I leaned on You. And the harder I leaned on You, the stronger I discovered You to be. It never would have happened had you not given me the bruising of the blessing of that wheelchair." What a glorious reminder that every trial is a bruising with blessing. May I find God in hidden places in my life, just as Joni does.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...


I love your statement, "...every trial is a bruising with blessing." You have a way with words!