Tuesday, November 7, 2023

2023 Football Sectional Champs

I've said before, I'm not a typical football mom. I'm not in the stands shouting my lungs out. Fear of injury plagues my ability to enjoy football games. However, recently I've become a stealth supporter. Thanks to live-streaming, I can view the games from the comfort of my home, enjoy closer coverage and instant replays, and listen to (mostly informative) commentary. The live-streaming also allows me to enjoy the action simultaneously with my oldest son, Bryce. My husband laughs at how vocal I get while viewing privately at home. "Go, Malachi, go! Run, run, keep going!"

Last Friday's sectional championship game was thrilling (apart from one annoying commentator I could have done without). With a minute left in the first half, we were down 21-20. One commentator (the annoying one) kept saying if he was the coach, he'd have them go for the 3 points, saying "points is points." Thankfully, he wasn't the coach, and our coach had full faith in our powerful quarterback. With only seconds to go, we scored a touchdown and 2 additional points. Here's the highlight article that originally ran in the Indy Star. The score held through the second half, securing our status as 2023 Class 3A sectional champs.

Indy Star photographer Doug McSchooler captured some excellent images of Sean (#55) protecting QB Malachi (#7):


Malachi is a powerhouse. Time after time, he plows through a host of tacklers, remaining on his feet and launching into the end-zone. The commentator said, "You told me he was impressive, but you have to see him in action to fully grasp how good he is."


(Sean is at the far left in this Doug McSchooler photo)

Two more jubilant photos taken by the Tri-West Quarterback Club photographer:



Plus, Sean sent me this photo of him with Malachi holding the trophy:


The next game holds great challenge as we lost to Gibson Southern a few years ago, in a similar scenario. But, I'm holding to the hope that Malachi and our strong offensive and defensive players can hold them off to win the regional competition. Our sights are set even higher. Bryce and his fiancée are coming for a Thanksgiving visit. It would be fantastic if our team goes all the way to state level and Bryce gets to watch the game in Lucas Oil Stadium. The last time our team went to a state final and played there, it was the year after Bryce graduated. He missed it by a hair! It would be so cool if Sean gets to live the dream that evaded Bryce.


1 comment:

Gretchen said...


Congratulations for a great football season! It is exciting, and it is absolutely fine when Mom's cheer loudly, even at the tv screen. It would be frosting on the cake if the team goes to state. Promise me, you'll give up the live streaming and go to the Lucas Stadium. Cheering for Sean!