Saturday, November 4, 2023

Anticlimactic Anniversary Celebration


Photo by Alexander Grey on Unsplash

In 2020, we struggled to come up with suitable ways to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. In the midst of a pandemic and tied to home by a prodigal, we created a list of 30 anniversary activities. That was a wash! We still haven't snagged time around the fire pit or held hands on the porch. How easy are those? In 2021, we made a brief daytrip to Indiana's largest waterfall - ha! Last year, we did the best we've done in a while. We took an overnight to a beautifully decorated and cozy cabin nearby. This year, August came and went with no festivities. When I happened upon news that Celtic Thunder would perform in Nashville, Indiana, it sounded like the perfect solution. I love Nashville, Indiana, with its quaint charm and delightful shops. Alas, the concert was anticlimactic, at best.

Last year, I discovered Celtic Thunder's You Tube videos from their PBS performance. Immediately, I fell in love with their songs, their sound, and their theatrics. The Nashville concert left me deflated and unimpressed. Thank goodness Damien McGinty performed, or it might have been a total loss. He exhibited his characteristic enthusiasm and charm. Why was the staging so bland? Not a lick of appeal, but just a plain black stage with no embellishment. Where were all the beloved songs? I had hoped for "Toora Loora Lay":


"Home from the Sea":


or "A Place in the Choir":


Instead, the only two classic hits were "Galway Girl" and "Seven Drunken Nights." Moreover, I find it offensive when secular groups sing songs glorifying drunkenness shortly after crooning "Amazing Grace." (No belief, why sing it?) Why the predominance of political Celtic content? Most Americans love Celtic music for its flavor and lilt, not its political elements. While there were a few upbeat songs, many were somber airs of death. 

They are a fantastic group and I wish them well. I merely hope they continue singing together in the caliber of former performances. For now, I'll stick with watching my You Tube favorites. Although, I may ask for a CD for Christmas so I can listen when I'm in the car. (My CD player near the treadmill has bit the dust, so I suppose I should ask for that, as well.)


1 comment:

Gretchen said...


It's a "new" music group for me, but I'm pathetic in keeping current with music groups. Sorry the concert wasn't what you had hoped for.