Monday, November 27, 2023

Book Review: Tactics

I've recently felt conviction about my intentionality in witnessing. We're most comfortable around those who are similar. If I'm only surrounded by like-minded believers, how will I lead anyone else to the truth of the gospel message? Thus, I listened to Gregory Koukl's book, Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions. Like another recent read about listening, I know I need to improve my listening skills. Koukl's tactics draw on the use of questions to guide discussion.

Some of Koukl's suggested questions: "What do you mean by that? How did you come to that conclusion? Why do you think that's how it happened?" By using questions, you can draw the individual out and learn where they are coming from. You need to know what their perspective is if you plan to advance a Christian perspective to them.

I took notes thoroughly from this book. The book is a series of lectures and I went into it as a student. I hope I retained some of the tactics offered (things like the suicide tactic, taking the roof off, and what a friend we have in Jesus tactic). I appreciated that Koukl's goal is to make you an ambassador for Christ, to teach you how to build a bridge to others. Another great take-away was Koukl's reminder we are not all harvesters. Sometimes your role is simply a gardener. Don't assume that your conversation with another will be that one conversation that leads them to salvation. Plant your seed and leave it to the Lord.

No comments: