Monday, November 6, 2023

Book Review: Safe People

I struggle with boundaries. I run from conflict. To be honest, I'd rather pacify you with inauthenticity than confront difficulties I'm experiencing in relationship. This is something I need to work on. Ages ago, I read the Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend book on Boundaries. I have obviously allowed that wisdom to slip from my practice. In Safe People, this duo offers insight into the process of finding and engaging in relationships with safe people.

Safe People is a well-structured and easily followed book. The authors break down the problem. To begin with, they outline 20 traits of "unsafe" people. I must admit, some of those traits I see in the mirror. They discuss why we get into enmeshed relationships with unsafe people. Then, they provide encouragement and steps for establishing safer relationships in life. My opinion? This is all fine and dandy, but implementing, when you struggle with boundaries, is far harder than reading a book with tips and target behaviors. I'd love to find safe people. But, then again, I need to learn how to be a safe person myself first. Perhaps I would do well to seek the study guide for this book, or at least listen to the full-length version (my audio book was abridged).

1 comment:

Gretchen said...


Interesting. I've borrowed it on Libby.