Thursday, December 7, 2023

Book Review: The Consequences of Fear

I dashed into the library, landed on this audio book, The Consequences of Fear, and within minutes was driving away with the first CD playing in my car. It never even dawned on me, until attempting to write this review, that this is the 16th book in The Maisie Dobbs Series. I'm only bummed that this seems to be the only physical audio book in the series that my library has on offer. It was a pleasant, wholesome, and entertaining adventure.

It is 1941 and young Freddie Hackett, a delivery boy in London, has witnessed a murder. Since he cannot get the police to believe him (where is the body?), he seeks the talented Maisie Dobbs. Maisie believes the boy, but can she prove his story? The clues showing it was an installment in a series should have been obvious. All the backstory swept past me. I was oblivious, delighting in London descriptions, deciphering Freddie's state of mind, and discovering Maisie Dobbs' identity. But does her character lure me in enough to seek them out in paper form, from the beginning of a lengthy series? Have I foiled it by learning things already late in the game? If I were solely interested in clean historical fiction, I might. But, I'm betting I pass.

No comments: