Sunday, March 16, 2008

Book Review: Are We Out of the Driveway Yet?



I guess I was up for some lighter fare today (I've been reading a heavier book about the brain). When my husband and I were first married, we spent our first several Christmases giving each other copies of all the Calvin and Hobbes (my husband) and Far Side (me) comic collections. We would sit in bed at night, separately chuckling over amusing anecdotes, often pausing to share a really good one with the other person. Once our collections were complete, we never really ventured into any other comic strip.

Now that I know about the Zits Sketchbooks (This was number 11, and I don't think I've ever noticed them before.), I'll probably look for another. This strip by Jerry Scott and Jim Gorman left me chuckling like old times. Life with a teenage son surely presents a lot of humor to consider. Some of my favorites were sketches where the dad is standing outside the bathroom door, informing his son that the shower has been running for over a half an hour, when the son walks by and into the bathroom, stopping the hissing noise and saying quietly, "Oops," and where the mom screams "Get those filthy shoes off my clean floor," only to see the son's solution ... they now sit on the kitchen counter!

Perhaps I'll have to ask for some Zits collections for Christmas this year. This is the kind of book, I could always come back to again and again and still get a laugh. Plus, in a little over a year, I'll actually have a teenage son in my house - yikes!

No comments: