Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Yesterday with ES

Yesterday, my ES got braces (on his teeth - not suspenders, for any Brits who may be reading! - although, he could use suspenders now, since he has lost over 10 lbs. during this wrestling season). Poor boy is eating things like applesauce, fruit smoothies, canned pears and peaches. Flossing was a huge ordeal last night. Even with the help of his dad, they couldn't get the floss into the threader and between the braces and teeth. This morning he told his dad he couldn't eat a banana. Plus, I had to take him back to the orthodontist this afternoon (with the two little ones in tow -groan) because one of the wires was poking into his cheek. I asked if there is an easier way to handle the flossing (having made this $4000 investment, I want to make sure he maintains them properly) and they suggested we buy a Waterpik. So now, it is a $4060 investment (but, I'm thinking I may get an extra attachment piece and use this thing myself - since http://cardiogirl.net/ has gotten me more concerned about flossing and my teeth are too close together to floss without great difficulty and pain).


On the way home from picking my ES up from his wrestling practice last night, we saw a herd of animals out in our fields. I am such a city girl. I get all excited when I see any form of wild life around here (remember we live in an isolated area and we've lived here for a year and a half now - you would think it would be passe by now). I pulled the van over and we both got out to look closer. There were 15 0r 16 deer out there. We stood there for five minutes watching them. The closer we got, the more skittish they were and finally, they all ran for the woods behind the fields. If I had the time, I would do what the author of a book called Bean Blossoms did. She quietly entered the woods and hid out waiting to see the deer close up. As if I'll have time to hide out waiting to see deer in our woods (yeah, honey, I'm gonna go watch for deer for about four or five hours - you don't mind keeping an eye on the two little guys, do ya?!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor ES!! Some friends have had good luck with offering motrin the first week of braces to help take the edge off the pain. We will say extra prayers for a quick adjustment. I can't believe the cost of braces!! Parents always comment on the investment, but I've never asked what kind of investment are they talking about. Honestly, I figured it was 1/2 that much!! Though, that's sort of par for the course, my husband teases me that I usually come in 1/2 as much on the real cost of things ie. to build a shed, landscape projects, painting, etc.... And I think I'm a wise consumer!! Nevertheless, I do believe a nice smile is a great investment!! ~Karin