Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Book Review: Regarding the Bees

Every time I see a new book from Kate and Sarah Klise in their Regarding the ... series of books, I jump for joy! I think I was the first person to check out our library's new copy of Regarding the Bees: A Lesson in Letters, on Honey, Dating, and Other Sticky Subjects. This is the fifth book in the series and I hope they just keep coming.

I love the use of letters, memos, newspaper articles and advertisements to tell the story. I love the endless puns. I love the lessons presented in such an up-beat, funny way. When I did read-alouds for a fifth grade classroom, I always wished for a way to bring Kate Klise's books into those times. Alas, until she markets overhead pages for teachers to use, kids will have to find these books and enjoy them for themselves. The illustrations and print always enhance the experience of the books.

This tale begins with the principal, Wally Russ, leaving Mr. Sam N. in charge for one semester. During this time, Florence Waters, will be teaching his class by correspondence course. They are preparing for state exams and a spelling bee. The seventh graders are knee-deep in middle school angst over dances, dating, friendship and tests. It was a delightfully fun book. Visually, it is every bit as appealling as The Diary of a Wimpy Kid, so perhaps even my ES would be willing to try this book. I can't recommend it enough!

No comments: