Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Book Review: The Search for Belle Prater

I would have enjoyed listening to this sequel to Ruth White's Belle Prater's Boy in audio version, but it wasn't available through my library. Still, at times I could hear the narrator's voice in my head.

I enjoyed this sequel (you know how sometimes sequels don't live up to the first book) and would recommend it. I don't think I could have not read it, because I seriously wanted to know what happened to Belle Prater. In this book, a silent phone call leads Woodrow Prater to believe that his mother is trying to contact him. He teams up with his cousin and a new girl to head off on a search. In the process, they meet a motherless black boy who is searching for his father. It was an easy read with a satisfying ending. I enjoyed the characters, the rich taste of the south, and the deeper emotional story. The yearning for a parent within a child is certainly a force to be reckoned with and recognized.

No comments: