Friday, April 18, 2008

My First Lengthy Night of Sleep was Earth-Shattering

Last night, I determined to hit the sack the moment the little boys did and stay in the bed as long as possible. I finally managed to get MS down by 9:30 p.m. Does anyone else have a child who manipulates bedtime/naptime with the need to use the bathroom? I am loathe to discipline or send MS to bed when he claims to need this because he has had such issues in this area for a year and a half. But the back of my brain is saying, "yeah right he has to go, really he is just stalling bedtime."

Anyway, I took Nyquil to ensure as deep a sleep as possible. The boys still managed to wake me. Littlest guy was up once, but settled down quickly. MS is the real annoyance. My husband tried to get up with him the second time he got up, but MS proceeded to throw a screeching fit because he wanted to tell Mommy his nightmare and wanted to be rocked. This, of course, woke the YS, but he merely lay there watching the whole thing play out. I still can't get used to waking up and seeing MS's face inches from mine, standing next to my bed. It freaks me out every time!

At 5:30 a.m., I woke because it felt like the house was moving. The closet doors in our room were rattling back and forth. In my grogginess, I thought it was a tornado. As soon as the rattling stopped, everything was quiet and calm. I fell back asleep, but a few minutes later my husband walked into the room. I asked, "What just happened?" and he replied, non-chalantly, "an earthquake." O.K., I rolled over and went back to sleep. Thankfully it didn't wake the two little boys (though ES thought my husband was shaking his loft bed to wake him, until he looked and saw that nobody was even in the room). Go figure, they can't sleep through the night to save their lives (nightmares, hunger, comfort, whatever), yet they sleep through a 5.2 earthquake!

So, wow, when I actually get more sleep than usual (not saying it was a solid night yet) - the earth shakes! Now I can't get that darn song out of my head, "I feel the earth. move. under my feet. I feel the sky tumblin' down. tumblin' down ..."

I went to a government website and reported my response to the effects. It stated that I am almost 200 km. from the earthquake which hit in Southern Illinois along the New Madrid faultline. There were over 36,000 people (from over 2000 zip codes) who took time to record their response to the earthquake.

I'm wondering if my friends and family or bloggy friends felt it, too? DeKalb friends, did you feel the earth move? Cardiogirl, how 'bout all the way up there in Michigan? Did my sister in Mississippi feel it? Some people as far as Georgia and Tennesee were reporting. I'll have to call my brother in Kentucky because I doubt he even knows I have a blog! If you felt it, I claim full responsibility. I can promise you, I probably won't get another good night's sleep for a good long time, so, not to worry!

3 comments:

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Hi Wendy! Curious as to how you found my blog! Because it's weird since you commented on my 100 things and I haven't written on that post in FOREVER! But I see you've taken Nyquil recently too (I'm currently sick!) and you felt the earthquake too! And you have DeKalb friends! And I went to NIU! There are some unique commonalities here!!! Anyway, thank you for stopping by Manic Mom's ... sorry it kept you up later than you intended! I do get sooo mad at myself when I do that! Anyway, take care of yourself, and while I'm secretly glad to have experienced an earthquake, I would also be glad to NOT have to experience another one!

Sandra said...

Hi it's my first time on your blog :)

I have two kids, an almost 9 year old daughter and 5 year old son and I absolutely LOATHE bedtime. Seriously, I would rather have a root canal LOL The excuses and the things they come up with to not go to sleep is just amazing....if you figure out how to get around it, let me know please LOL.

I'm adding you to my bloglines.

Have a great weekend,
Sandra

Wendy Hill said...

Manic - I've actually visited your site a few times before (I found it through Dawn and Mimi and Michelle). This time, for some reason, I clicked on your 100 things and the one about intending to hit the sack but getting sucked into the computer totally resonated with me. Many of my present sleep issues are due to the fact that I think I should have some time just to myself to be spent on-line blogging each evening. The problem is that I don't know when to stop and head to bed (that alone time is so precious).

I moved to IN from DeKalb over a year and a half ago. We had lived there for 15 years (went there for my husband to attend grad school at NIU). I miss it terribly.

Nice of you to visit. Hope you'll come again.

Sandra - I was curious how you found my blog. I headed over to your 3 blogs (my, my) and was blown away. You are quite the busy woman! I read your food blog and my mouth was watering. I actually wanted to try some of those recipes (and I'm not the greatest in the kitchen). I'll have to visit you again because I just didn't have enough time tonight to explore your blogs.

Thanks for visiting and adding me to your bloglines.