Monday, September 15, 2008

Book Review: The Triple Chocolate Brownie Genius

There's something so appealing about a brand new book at the library. The pages are crisp and clean. I wonder if anyone else has even checked the book out yet. Of course, if the title has the word "chocolate" in it, that makes it extra appealing! I had to check this one out. It turned out to be a quick, easy-to-read, chapter book.

If there's anything lazy, fun-loving Michael doesn't like, it is a know-it-all. Yet, after eating an entire pan of his mother's triple chocolate brownies, that is exactly what he has become. His new found intelligence isn't winning him any friends, either. In fact, he might just lose his position as president of the student council, if he doesn't find some way to silence his inner genius.

If I could get my son to try it, he might even enjoy it. It features a male protagonist in middle school who doesn't aspire to be a genius - sounds like just his cup of tea, right? I enjoyed the fact that it even included a mild dose of Shakespeare! At only 151 pages, I think I'll have a good suggestion for his next free reading assignment.

4 comments:

My Three Sons said...

Holy cow.....three books in such a short time? You really do love your books. The last one looks like a great book for my 12 and 13 year olds. The are in middle school and we have to read 1000 minutes a month for part of their grade. My middle son actually struggles when he reads so I try to read with him. This looks like one I might enjoy as well.

Take care
Kaci

Wendy Hill said...

Kaci - You will notice that all three were quick, easy reads. My middle schooler hates to read (hard on a former English teacher Mom!). I'd highly recommend any of the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" books for your middle school boys. It is one of the few books my son read "for fun." They are very funny and hit home with adolescent boys.

My Three Sons said...

I was showing my oldest son your blog and he said he is actually reading one of the Wimpy Kids series right now. How about that:-).

Hope you have a great day,

Kaci

Wendy Hill said...

Kaci - my mind is just now catching up to your figure - 1000 minutes per month??? That would mean they have to read at least 40 minutes at least 25 days each month. I must share this with my son, who is convinced that his life is so much more difficult than any other individual around (you know, every other parent allows their child to have friends over every single evening, etc.)