Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Why Can't the DMV in IN be more like the SSO in IL?

Yesterday, I drove over to my in-law's house with the two little guys for a brief visit. We arrived in time for dinner and left after lunch today. The purpose of our visit was two-fold (and selfish) - 1) to give Grandma a chance to see her grandsons and 2) so Grandma could watch the two little boys while I headed to the Social Security Office to secure a replacement SS card. Due to my father-in-law's ill health, they really don't need the chaos which our visits usually provide, but Grandma is always gracious and welcoming anyway.

I was expecting the same kind of run-around my husband and I have received every time we have gone to the DMV here in Indiana. We are beginning to think they sit around the back room sharing stories of how they frustrated yet another citizen. I can hear them now:

Joe Worker: Ah, it was great! The guy pulled out all kinds of documentation - his license, his birth certificate, his passport, his marriage license. I was beginning to sweat, thinking I wouldn't have any last card to play. But, just at the last moment, it dawned on me. I was able to turn to him, with my longest face and request his IN fishing license.

Jane Worker: So, tell me, what happened? Did he have that on him, too?

Joe W: Of course, not. He looked like he was about to explode. It was priceless!

Instead, it actually went like all the visits to the DMV back in DeKalb used to go when I needed to update my IL Driver's license. I walked up to the check-in window and announced my purpose. I was handed the number 48. I sat in a chair with a handful of others surrounding me (perhaps 8 other people in the chairs). A sign informed me that they were serving customer number 46. After 5 minutes, my number was called.

The blond woman behind the counter greeted me with a smile. I handed her the replacement SS card form, all filled out. I clutched my fistful of every possible documentation they could request. She typed in my current address, then paused to inform me that I could have gone to the SS office there in Indianapolis.

I smiled back and explained that my husband was worried it would be in a bad part of town and I would have had to take my two toddlers with me. Instead, we managed to visit with Grandma and I was able to come to this office alone. She assured me that even with the drive, it probably would have taken me longer to visit the SSO in my own area! (Does she know about IN? Are there certain states which are encouraged to be a law-abiding citizen's worst nightmare? Does every Hoosier have to drive to Indianapolis in order to handle this business in person?)

She then requested ... my driver's license. I handed over my IL license. She punched in more data and then handed me a form and said I could expect to receive the card in the mail within two weeks time. She even said, "Have a nice day! Hope Grandma enjoyed her time with the kids!"

Total visit: 1 trip. Total time in office: 10 minutes. End result: Smile. Now, I wonder if I should look into getting an Indiana fishing license. After all, who knows if the DMV here will be satisfied with my official birth certificate, my official IL driver's license, and my official SS card?

4 comments:

Me :-) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Me :-) said...

LOL That is so true! Too funny. My hubby and I argued at the DMV just a few weeks ago, because my car was due for plates of course but he had the paper. Well that paper in very small print said I was due for emissions testing. I love that my car is paid off and just refuse to purchase another right now! So since he had held on to the paper for weeks,I couldn't get my plates after waiting in line.. I was just dumbfounded...All is well now but the DMV can still be an annoying place.

Wendy Hill said...

Melissa - Welcome to the blogging world. So glad you visited and took the time to comment. Glad to know it is not just my own personal bias - others in IN are hassled by the DMV, too!

Anonymous said...

Loved the part about the fishing license!! Thanks for the chuckle! Glad it all worked out in the end. We'll only hope that the DMV in Indiana will proceed as smoothly!! ~Karin