Friday, September 19, 2008

What a Deal! What a Sandwich!

I keep telling myself, every Thursday morning, that I will NOT sit down and look at the paper. I have been intending to spend this one morning, without kids, busily working on one of my novels. The first few Thursdays were replete with excuses - my doctor appointment (I would have rather been writing than taking two shots to the tush), ES at home, urgent errands to run.

This week, I spent most of the "writing time" reading the beginning of the novel and revisiting where it is heading. But, I must confess, I did read a smidgen of the paper. I had failed to eat breakfast before shuttling the boys off to school (it was picture day - no, I did not allow MS to wear a Spiderman suit - but he did wear a Spiderman t-shirt), so I spread the front pages out to read while I ate.

In the first section of the paper, I happened upon a small advertisement for Domino's Pizza. They were holding a special promotion of their new oven-baked sandwiches. Between 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Thursday, they would offer a free oven-baked sandwich to anyone who brought in a pair of pants, shirt, skirt or dress to be donated to Goodwill.

In my last visit to the library, I actually saw a book condoning the benefits of being a pack-rat (now there's a book I must read - A Perfect Mess: The Hidden Benefits of Disorder). Perhaps this was just such an occasion. Indeed, I had an extra pair of pants and top to spare (intended for the consignment shop, but certainly worth the exchange).

They offered four different sandwiches: Philly Cheese Steak, Chicken Bacon Ranch, Chicken Parmesan and Italian. Every one of them looked mouth-watering, but I chose the Chicken Bacon Ranch. It was PHENOMENAL - large, tasty, toasted, gooey. I only wish I could have passed this deal on to my readers. It was a very brief window, wasn't it!

I actually was thinking to myself, "When can I have one of these again?" I will admit, their normal price of $4.99 is a bit more than I usually pay for my fast food sandwiches, but it was a large sandwich and probably equivalent to two of the cheaper sandwiches elsewhere. It took all the will-power I could muster, to save a tiny bite for my husband to try. He enjoyed it, too. I bet he would select the Chicken Parmesan one, though, because it had tomato marinara on it and is probably less fattening (I tried to search for nutritional information on their website, but the sandwich is new and the stats weren't available yet). I think I'd like to try the other three.

So, now, I'm trying to rationalize this. Let's see: if I faithfully spend at least three hours of my Thursday morning diligently writing my novel, then I should treat myself to an oven-baked sandwich from Domino's. How does that sound? Expensive, I know! For goodness sake, I'm already spending an arm and a leg just to have the boys out of the house in a great social, learning environment one morning a week. Still, maybe I could afford one once a month. (The other thought is to try to figure out how to match this same great taste by making one myself at home - Hmmmm...)

No comments: