Friday, September 26, 2008

The Only Way I'm Giving My Son a Snake!

This will have to be a short post. I have mucho work to do tonight. This weekend, my MS turns 4. The list of things he wants is ENDLESS - basically, everything he sees on TV, minus most of the girly toys (although he is coveting the Barbie pool, because he wants to put his "toadies" in it).

Side note: ES is pushing our buttons by complaining that he never gets anything (this from a boy who just purchased Rock Band, with half the cost contributed by his parents). In fact, when he purchased Rock Band, we assured him that within two weeks he would be clamoring for something else that he perceives as a "must have." One of his close friends recently got a 118 inch television (although Wikianswers.com tells me that the largest television available is a 103 inch Panasonic Plasma TV) . Then, this week, the same friend was given a $1000 moped/motor scooter. It was so frustrating to watch ES, green with envy, as his friend offered to "trail him" (give him a ride) on the scooter (I would have thought trailing him meant ES pedaling his own bicycle behind the friend on the scooter! Ha!). So, this week has been replete with conversations about why "things" don't bring fulfillment.

Back to MS. His resounding request has been for a pet snake. Not a chance! My husband suggested a mouse, since they are timid and would probably not bite if handled excessively (which is certainly what MS would do!). If they didn't smell and I knew that I would never be required to have anything to do with the care and keeping of a mouse, I might agree. But, I didn't. No way! My suggestion is a fish to replace poor short-lived "Scooby-Doo." We live in my husband's grandmother's house and he regales me with tales of all the cages which used to line the hearthstone when he would come to visit here, bringing all of his pets. At this point, I'm up for a fish. That's all.

However, when I asked MS what kind of cake he wanted, he said "a snake cake." Now that, I can handle. So, tonight, I will be busy frosting (and figuring out how in the world to wrap for storage) a coral snake cake (he is very specific). I baked two cakes in my bundt pan this week and have them in the freezer. I made the black, red and yellow frosting yesterday (although, of course, the red looks a bit pinkish and the black is dark grey). I keep wishing I were more of a professional at this, like Amber, Amy, Dawn (see Sept. 21st post called "Surprise") and others. I'll do my best. I just hope a photo of my final product doesn't end up here, (a very funny site) although, the subtitle says "When professional cakes go horribly, hilariously wrong," so I'm probably safe.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG NO! Imagine if it got out!!

Anonymous said...

For some reason when you husband suggested a mouse, I thought, 'But the snake will eat the mouse.' Then realized he was suggesting an alternative.

And yeah. Those mice multiply and start running rampant around the house. Yuck.

Good luck on the cake, it sounds like fun!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to MS!! I'm sure your cake will turn out just fab! Michael's birthday was on Thursday and we're having his kid-party tomorrow so I am doing some last minute preparations as well. He wanted to have a nerf-gun themed party, which has morphed into a general military special forces party. We have asked families, who are willing, to bring a donation of goods to send to our troops. I have the party favors ready and the organized activities mostly thought through--cadences, detonating bombs (balloons), word scramble, a mission, shooting range with marshmallow shooters, and so forth. I totally copped out on the cake this year and am doing cupcakes with an army guy atop each one. Michael has always preferred to have his parties at home rather than at a local "party locale" except for once...so then I always scramble to get the house tidied up and such. But, I'm happy to do it. Have fun with celebrating the big FOUR!! ~Karin

My Three Sons said...

Tell your little one happy birthday from MO. I'm with you, I have managed to only buy dogs for my 12 and 13 year old. Snakes wouldn't set right. I would never sleep because I'd be scared that they were going to join me in my bed. Anyways, hope your cake turns out great. Sounds like you have planned it out for a while.

Kaci