Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Half-Full or Half-Empty?

Just the other night, my husband and I were sitting on the porch after a satisfying dinner. It was peaceful. The boys were happily playing in the living room (one with trains, the other two a game of Croc on the computer). I expressed my gratitude for being able to live here right now. I revelled in that contented feeling of being able to stay home with my boys and avoid the rat-race of hectic life which overcomes so many families. Time to read books and play outside in a place which often feels like year-round-camp to me. Half-full.

This was what we discovered this morning:





I shouldn't make it sound like this took us unawares. We noticed the leak in the basement ceiling last week and were trying to determine where it was coming from - the toilet, the sink or the tub in the bathroom upstairs. We had called a plumber, who was scheduled to come out this morning.

This is an old house. Since we have moved in, we often feel like something goes wrong on a daily basis. Half-empty.

Although, surely it is more realistic to say something goes wrong on a weekly basis. (H-F) Leaks aren't something new. We had one in the upstairs ceiling the first weekend our whole family moved in. In fact, simultaneous with that leak, the well went dry and we had no water to use in the house. (H-E) In order to flush our toilets, we had to use buckets of water transported from our neighbor's house (not exactly a stone's throw away). However, no one was sick or vomiting in the midst of that crisis. (H-F)

This morning, the plumber arrived and assessed the damage. He asked me to sit down (that can't be a good sign). I had asked if he could perhaps do something to secure the ceiling after he was done. He replied that he couldn't touch it. (H-E) He added that he wouldn't have even been able to get in and do the work today if that ceiling hadn't caved this morning, since he's not allowed to cut through wires to get to a job. (H-F) We don't have a furnace in this home; the heat comes through the ceiling. Even if there hadn't been wires in the ceiling, it would have cost $200 in labor to have the plumber tear down the ceiling to get to the problem (again, H-F). Final damage to our checkbook? $900 (H-E)

Not to mention, tomorrow we get to enjoy the visit from an electrician (same reliable guy who came after the storm a few months back). I'm sure he won't do the work gratis. (H-E) However, I did find a coupon in a flyer which will save us $69 for the service call. (H-F) Then, we must have the ceiling replaced. (H-E) In the meantime, we're thankful for good weather so we don't really need to turn the heat on, as the ceiling hangs perilously from those wires! (H-F)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I applaud your efforts to be positive. But I'm usually a half empty kinda gal who tries to remember that things could be worse.

Good luck. I suppose you do have the coupon, non-vomiting kids and some good weather.

My Three Sons said...

Holy Cow!! I know this doens't help but we have rental properties and a coulpe of years ago we had a lot of rain and a 17' wall from the basement caved in. I was so glad we didn't have anyone living in there because the whole upstairs was unstable. It ended up costing us $6500.00 and that was with us trying to do as much as we could. So in your case, I'm thinking half full because your right, the weather is still warm, and you can still reside there. Keep your chin up.

Good luck and take care

Kaci

Wendy Hill said...

CG - I'm trying to nurture an attitude of gratitude, but there are days when that gets hard.

Kaci - Oh, yes, now I'm definitely feeling half-full. I mean, what if the whole wall had collapsed and we had to find someplace to move a family of five. What's a little bit of ceiling hanging from some wires. I put up a gate, so the littlest guy can't get back into that area of the basement. My mother-in-law is looking into whether the insurance will cover the repair charges.

Anonymous said...

Water damage, ugh. In some ways, you probably are more lucky (half-full) that the ceiling broke down to air out the moisture and minimize mold developing--and bonus, the electrician and plumber can more easily identify and thus remedy the problem! My parents had a small leak that wasn't "unknown" for quite some time, but they opted to not use the upstairs bathroom for years until it worsened and they had no choice. Unfortunately, they waited so long, that not only did the plumbing need to be repaired but the wall and ceiling needed a good deal of re-doing. My dad is one who thinks he can do it himself. He can do a lot of things. But when he is the caretaker of my mom, the house, he volunteers, consults 2 days per week, and gardens...there are many-a-things that don't get addressed in a timely fashion. Plus, they hate to pay someone to do the work. We all do, but sometimes, it does make the most sense. I hope your is fixed lickety-split and doesn't cost an arm and a leg!! ~Karin