Monday, September 8, 2008

Decisions: To Leap or Not to Leap

Today we received a letter from the middle school. Apparently, ES has been "identified through test scores, grades, teacher rating scales and other criteria as eligible for participation in the LEAP program." We must return a form, by Friday, with our signature indicating whether ES will or will not participate in the program.

I must admit, I feel torn here. As I read the letter, I knew what my son's reaction would be before we even mentioned it to him. It says LEAP students participate in some differentiated activities. They are required to complete a special project (I believe it is student-selected). They participate in things like Math Pentathalons, Spelling Bowls, etc. I know my son. If it even remotely sounds like more work than the average kid is expected to do, then he will want none of it. Furthermore, it says these students participate in the Young Hoosier Book Awards program. I have already outlined the warm, cozy feeling he has towards reading (NOT!). Perchance, they might even ask him to read more books than his classes already require. GASP!

Indeed, I mentioned the letter, in passing, this evening and his only response was "LEAP is for NERDS." Ah, what wonderful attitudes are oozing from my progeny (note: that's "progeny" - children, not "prodigy" - genius!) I haven't even had a moment to really discuss it more fully with my husband (although, I'm pretty sure he will want the final decision to be left in the hands of ES). I don't know that I trust the great 12 year old's wisdom in this matter.

Yet, I will say, that I wouldn't want him to feel too much pressure to perform academically, either. It is such a fine line. If he is not challenged enough, school becomes boring and misbehavior is a greater temptation. However, if school becomes overly-challenging, then all the fun of learning is lost in the stress and pressure. Participating in gifted activities would bring him in contact with others who value the use of their brains (his term, nerds), but he's special to me whether he's "gifted" or not. Allowing him to choose, seems important since it affects the intensity of load he will carry. But, at the same time, there are times when a parent must push a child to excel, even when they would rather coast. He didn't want to join the middle school band (despite his love of music), yet he has come to appreciate our insistence in that area. I just don't know how we should handle this opportunity.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This would be so difficult for me, because it would appeal to my OWN ego that my kid was gifted. Even if my gifted kid did not want to do it.

Stepping away from it, I truly believe that if the child is not on board this is a recipe for failure. Now if your kid was interested and wanted to give it a go, that would be a different story.

I would take your child's lead before you LEAP.

Unknown said...

What a tough one, the only thing I will say Wendy is I was spotted as 'having additional potential' in English in middle school. A similar option was given to my parents, they concurred to my decisive no, I was a talker not a worker!

Well I have really regretted my forestalled education ever since, as maybe I'd be a published writer now!

So I don't envy you, but sometimes parents have to make unpopular decisions for the best.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... the program in our district is called PURPOSE. Michael's 2nd grade teacher recommended him for this gifted program. However, about the same time, concerns of his time management, specifically his ability to work independently within time constraints were emerging. While we would have loved to have him participate in enrichment activities, and he wanted to be in Purpose, we did not pursue it for him. Similar in 3rd grade, the teacher recommended him but we did not want him to fall behind on regular classroom expectations. I ran into his 2nd grade teacher this spring and she was asking about Michael. One of the first things she did was bring up this subject and offered that her own son had tested into the Purpose program (you must test at 95% or higher on a battery of tests to get in) but that he didn't participate in the program either and instead is enjoying advanced honors classes in various subjects in the upper grades, available to everyone, regardless if they tracked through the Purpose program. Since Michael is much younger than ES, we continue to look at this on a year by year basis. The program here sounds wonderful and I would love for him to enjoy this enrichment, particularly for math and science. There is a writing class that at this point in his life he would hate. He hates to write anything. I would ask if ES can leave the program at any time. Perhaps he can be encouraged to give it a shot and you can re-evaluate later. One of Michael's friends is in Purpose and was adamant about NOT wanting to participate, he loves it. I have explained this to Michael's 4th grade teacher that we remain open to re-considering it, but that we need feedback from her to know if it makes sense to pull him out of class 5 hours a week to do this. Michael is a nervous kid and I also worry that he'd be upset about not knowing if he missed something, or more homework or whatever. The thing that really sticks with me from talking to the district administrator about the program is that it is intended for kids whose learning needs are not met through the regular classroom curriculum. Is Michael learning--yes GOBS! We do lots of enrichment things outside of school, except for maybe for math, so he does get extra anyway. Good luck as you weigh your options. You know your kid best. Push him if he can juggle it. ~Karin

Wendy Hill said...

CG - The funny thing is that he is gifted in math, not language (that would be MS's strong-point). The hard thing is convincing him that he might actually enjoy the extra challenge of it.

Sarah - You could still be a published writer! Goodness knows you've got plenty of words within and your sense of humor would make me want to read any book you write!

Karin - I suppose there are definitely times when it is better to pass on an opportunity. Just because it is there doesn't mean it is the best thing. We learned this when we thought he should get involved in a sport after we moved here. He wasn't interested, but we encouraged him to join a basketball team so he could meet other kids and get involved in something. It was right after the baby arrived. B was not a tremendous player (no background, among kids who probably begin playing as toddlers) and it ended up being horrible for his self-esteem. If we had it to do over again, we would have skipped the basketball team. If his interest is there, he gives 110%!