Saturday, September 6, 2008

Big Brother, Little Brother

On Thursday morning, when I was out and about searching for snakes, I stopped by the Good Will thrift store. Since I was alone and thus, able to browse and concentrate, I decided to look through the books (dangerous activity!). I do TRY to limit my book purchases, but I get such a thrill when I find a loved book from the past or a book I enjoy so much that I want to own it (regardless of the fact that I could easily check it out from the library).

What's more, I get an even bigger thrill out of my MS's reaction when he discovers that I bought him a new book. That boy LOVES books. This time, he was not only thrilled, but also obedient because I used it as a bargaining chip (I would only get the book from the van and read it to him after he had stayed quiet and still in the bed for at least fifteen minutes - if he can manage the quiet and still part for 15 or 20 minutes, it almost always leads to an out-cold part!). He asked if it was a book about frogs or snakes or Spiderman. It wasn't, but I still knew he would love it.

The book was called Big Brother, Little Brother, and I felt compelled to buy it because two of the pages within the book made me smile and think of my little guys.







He did indeed love it. I hope we read it lots of times before they outgrow the picture book stage. The other book I purchased for him will have to wait. I found a copy of Kate DiCamillo's The Tiger Rising. I had read this book to my ES when he was 7 or 8 and he really enjoyed it. I can't wait until MS is old enough because I'm sure he will love it, too.

No comments: