Sunday, September 20, 2009

Alyssa Satin Capucilli Rocks!

Tonight, I told the two little boys to gather up enough books to read for 20 minutes. I was in the living room and they were in the hall by their room. Suddenly, I hear MS singing (or trying to sing) the words to Inside a House That is Haunted. It was so adorable. YS was reading a different book, but he joined in every once in a while, too.

After they were both in bed, I began to read my mail on the computer. Alyssa Capucilli wrote to say that she found a copy of the tape for me and will be happy to mail it to me. I'm certain this is above and beyond the call of duty for an author. I am overwhelmed and can't wait to share the news with my little boys.

I'm still going to write to Scholastic to urge them to re-release the accompanying sound recordings which were available back in the late 1990s. Who knows, maybe I'll even suggest they market this particular book as a possible screen-play for elementary educators. Wouldn't that make an adorable play? Then again, I see visions of parents pulling their kids out for the day because they don't want little Johnny to play the part of a mummy.

Oh well. I'll tuck the idea in the back of my brain and when the little boys are a bit older, perhaps we will have a Halloween party and perform the story as a party game (I promise I'll record it and post it here). Given MS's love for costumes, we already have some of the parts covered (a green hulk hand for the hand that knocks, plus ghost, skeleton, and monster costumes). Now we only have to secure costumes for a spider, a cat, a bat, an owl and a mummy. This is what great authors do ... they fill your mind with fun ideas!

No comments: