Sunday, September 27, 2009

Alternate Outlets for Dreams

Amy, over at The English Geek, wrote a post recently about what drives some of her quilting urges. For a long time, she was utterly convinced that she would have a second daughter. When her fourth child arrived and was a third son, she began a process of mourning the loss of those dreams for her oft-imagined second daughter. I appreciated how she emphasized that she was in no way unhappy that her fourth was a boy - he was exactly who God intended him to be, but she still grieves the loss of that dream for another daughter.

I still have moments when I am slapped in the face with a gust of wind bearing grief over the daughter I never had. Thankfully, those dreams have had many years of alternate outlets. For example, some of my favorite baby-sitting gigs fulfilled those dreams a bit. When I worked as a counsellor at Camp Hiawatha in Wichita, Kansas, I spent a good portion of each morning french-braiding the girls' hair before we headed off to breakfast. When my husband and I were newly married and childless, we used to borrow two lovely children, Lindsay and Zach, from my friend Marla. I would pop popcorn and we would sit and watch kid movies together.

One of the jobs I have considered for when I return to the work world (when the two little boys are in school full-time) is a children's librarian. I think this job appeals to me because I spend a fair amount of time reading and investigating children's books in my pursuit of writing a successful children's book. But, certainly, part of it is the love I have for sharing good books with kids. How wonderful it would be to have the opportunity to pitch really good girly books. I remember loving the book, The Hundred Dresses, by Eleanor Estes. I just can't imagine any of my boys being willing to explore this book with me.

While I will admit that I have loved making boy themed cakes (especially the "Spurting Spider Cake" which exploded with blended green jello when it was cut!), I am feeling a need for an alternative outlet for those dreams as well. When we were looking for cake ideas for MS, I came across this Betty Crocker how-to video for making a Barbie doll cake.

How to make a princess cake

I have seen these cakes before, but somehow watching the video brought up that old familiar gust of wind and I ached for a little girl. I'm wondering how an alternate outlet will present itself for this dream. Too bad decorated cakes are impossible to ship, otherwise I could hold a give-away. Hee-hee! I guess I'll just have to find some little girl, someday, who is in desperate need of a princess cake, so I can live out the dream this video instills.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I share your ache for a daughter...

Karin

gibberhoffer said...

I liked reading of the "Spurting Spider Cake" which exploded with blended green jello when it was cut! I bet that was a hit with the boys!

Dad

Amy Sorensen said...

Oh yeah. The girly children's books at the library sometimes catch me with my guard down and I have to re-adjust my girl filter right there in the stacks.

I think you'd make a great children's librarian! I envy you your ability to get a little peace from your alternate outlets. I try but sometimes they just make me bitter.

Unknown said...

I LOVE that tip of using paper to smooth the frosting! what a fun video, although I don't see that in my kid's future.

I did wonder how she was going to keep the doll clean although it looks like she puts frosting right on the body as well.

Just finished the video and the blue jeans cake looks like fun too!

Unknown said...

p.s. Forgot to mention that the chick who made the cake looks just like Mare Winningham.

Swistle said...

Oh oh oh, The Hundred Dresses! I had that book!

And about the girl thing, I have one word: granddaughters.