Saturday, September 19, 2009

Book Review: You Can Write Children's Books


Over the years, I have written a few children's books. I have started several young adult novels. With two of those children's books, I plucked up enough courage to send them off to a few publishers. When an editor at a writing conference critiqued the first chapter of one of my young adult novels, he actually expressed an interest in receiving a proposal.

Still, I've never published a children's or young adult book. But, my ES encourages me to keep trying. Back when he was five years old, I turned one of his typical childish fiascoes into a short picture book. I shared it with my writer's group. The manuscript underwent several revisions and was even tested out on some of the kids at Littlejohn Elementary. I sent it off to two publishers that I felt were a perfect fit for my book. Two rejections later, I set the manuscript aside. ES is convinced I should send it to at least thirty publishers before giving up.

Thus, on one of my Friday research/writing days, I checked out Tracey E Dils' book, You Can Write Children's Books. When I read the back cover, I must admit, I wanted to slide that book right back onto the shelf. It states that "Tracey E. Dils was first published in Highlights magazine when she was in fifth grade (emphasis mine)."

How's that for intimidating. It reinforced the feeling I often get, that published authors belong to some sort of elite country club, and I'm too poor and socially maladjusted to get in. Of course, I know published authors personally. I helped to encourage several members of my writer's group into that very club. My head can look at it objectively, but many times my heart wimps out with self-doubt.

I'm glad I didn't sit back and let that stop me from reading this helpful book. Although I have read many books on writing and publishing, I was impressed with the expert organization of this book. The author outlines all the nuts and bolts of the process of writing and publishing a book for children. She also offers tips from professionals and exercises to stretch the would-be-writer.

Although it was nothing new (especially since I have completed a writing course with The Institute of Children's Literature), it was a good refresher. The book was concise and highly readable. It would be an excellent resource for anyone who aspires to write a book for kids.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had to laugh when you said sh was published in Highlights magazine. IN FIFTH GRADE!

I had the very same response. FIFTH GRADE?!

However as the saying goes, a journey of a 1,000 miles begins with one step. I, too, need to apply that concept to my writing efforts.

Anonymous said...

ES is right, Wendy...just because 2 publishers didn't accept your book, doesn't mean you don't keep trying. Coleman would want you to "neva div up!" You are a talented writer, Wendy! ~Karin