Monday, January 4, 2010

Already Fighting Over Girls

Today was MS's first day back to school (ES is grateful not to return until tomorrow). As we were leaving the building, Andrea and her mother were walking in front of us. MS said good-bye and waved to her repeatedly. When YS tried to also say good-bye to Andrea, MS snapped at him and said, "She's not your friend, she's my friend."

I: "She can be YS's friend, too."

MS: No she can't. He might try to steal her from me.

I: He's not going to be able to steal her. After all, she'd be more likely to pick a boy who is closer to her age. She'd like a boy who is five more than a boy who is three. But he can still be her friend.

MS to YS: I hate to rain on your parade, but she's my girlfriend.

I (chuckling to myself - that boy picks up every phrase he hears!)

YS: No, she's MY girlfriend.

MS: No, she's mine. She wants her boyfriend to be like her in age and she's four so she would want me as her boyfriend.

I: She's only four? I thought she was five, like you.

MS: No, she's four.

I (mentally): Oh brother, just imagine when they are 13 and 15 and fighting over a 14 year old girl! Yikes. Somehow, I'm not so sure MS will have the advantage. Although his personality is charismatic, I wonder if YS will be more attractive to girls.

At least he has his art to fall back on. Once we returned home, MS headed to his art table to create a valentine for Andrea. Knowing she likes the Jonas Brothers (yes, she has an older sister), MS drew all three Jonas brothers (HA!) and then asked me to dictate the spelling for: "Please be my girlfriend."

I feel like I waited the first half of my life for a boyfriend. Yet, here are my sons, at ages 3 and 5, fighting over one girl to be their first girlfriend. Good grief!

No comments: