Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Book Review: Wisconsin River of Grace


"Ghosts and kielbasa. Blow guns and flying whitetails. Abraham Lincoln and the Wisconsin-Illinois Truce of '07. Aldo Leopold's warning. Icelandic immigrants who wave. These are just a few of the mysteries of Wisconsin River of Grace, a book that explores the irresistible pull of God's Country.

"Kyle White's essays are full of humor and reflection, delving into that sense of place for which we all long. Pining for Wisconsin, White resides in northern Illinois with his wife and children."

I decided to begin my review with the brief blurb found on the back of Kyle's book, because I have a faint suspicion that I will not stick with description of the book. To me, this book is so much more than just what fills its pages. I loved every minute of the "read." Then again, I will admit that I am slightly biased.

When I lived in DeKalb, Illinois, I took the correspondence course on writing for children which is offered by the Institute of Children's Literature. For my tenth and final assignment, I decided to select the novel option. I had a sound idea. I had interesting characters. I had intrigue. I had plot development. Still ... I got stuck. Month followed month and I failed to turn in my assignment. I began to moan about this fact to other members of my church, members who were clearly interested in writing just like me. My complaints morphed into a small writer's group.

We met once a month with the hope of spurring one another on. Did I ever finish the novel assignment? Well, no, not really. I did turn in the first three chapters and my instructor did say that she really wished she could use the idea (because it was a good one - indeed, one I should be spending time on these days, since that book is actually set right here where we live). However, I did come to relish the grand opportunities I had for spurring on other writers. Many of the members of our motley crew writer's group, went on to achieve success and publication. I still sit in the wings cheering them on.

But, I continue to cheer because I know how often words written by someone else will bless and move me right down to my soul. That is how I feel about Kyle's writing. Back when our group met, he would bring his poetry. We always knew what to expect ... some clever image drawn, some laughter and amused chortling, followed by a slight pause as the understanding of a deeper image, a more significant parallel suddenly made its way into our consciousness. Kyle has a true gift for drawing his reader in with frivolity and humor, which gives way to deeper insight and meaningful wisdom.

For example, one of my favorite pieces has to be the one about the circus museum in Baraboo, Wisconsin. Kyle begins a light-hearted vignette of a family trip to visit the circus museum. After describing all the amazing things one can see at this circus museum though, he begins to point out the error in logic for a circus museum. The circus was something that went on the road, taking these amazing spectacles out to the people, not expecting the people to come to the museum to find the greatest show on earth. As he drives this home, you begin to see that he is no longer talking about the greatest show on earth, but has shifted to key insights about the greatest news on earth ... the gospel.

Other essays in the book, carry equivalent depths of meaning as he discusses death, the way a place can shape and mold us, the writer's goal of capturing words, the significance of relationship and the importance of the seasons (love his letter of recommendation, titled "To Whom it May Concern," on behalf of autumn for the position left vacant by summer). It is packed full of fun, insightful vignettes. A perfect choice for a few minutes snatched here and there. And if you also pine for Wisconsin, well you'll get the feeling you are glancing through someone else's scrapbook of their experiences with that state.

As for me, I was born in the state of misery ... I mean, Missouri. I'm not sure it would be safe or wise to attempt to pattern my writing after Kyle's. I'm also not sure I'd be able to plumb depths of wisdom from my experiences there. Most of my memories are from time spent in Bourbon, Missouri. We didn't drink there (alas, Kyle, I don't think I will ever come to drinking beer ... although I might come to drinking coffee late, as you did). We attended a Salvation Army camp there every summer. Although, I might be able to dredge up a fair amount of nostalgia for Webster Groves (a wonderful place to live - and when I looked it up, it appears their slogan is something like "a great place to live, work and play!" Although, then I looked up West Plains, MO, my birth town, and their slogan is "a great place to live, learn, work and play," so maybe more is going on there, although I don't remember quite as much, especially since we moved when I was 3 weeks old - hee-hee).

Kyle's book can be purchased through Cornerstone Press. To view a sampling of the essays in the book, you can visit Kyle's blog here.

No comments: