Wednesday, January 20, 2010

For Such a Time as This - Haiti

A few weeks back, my brother, Mark, gave me a word of encouragement over the phone. Apparently, in my previous phone call I had been voicing frustration over the boys and my role as mother (sometimes I don't even realize how intensely my anxieties are expressed). He wanted me to know that after he hung up, he felt very strongly that he should have expressed a particular word of encouragement to me. He said that he should have said, "You were made for this! All those years you spent aching for a life's partner and for a family ... it has come and you were made for just these very moments. This is what it all was leading up to."

Of course, he's right. Despite the fact that I pursued a master's degree and had career goals, I did indeed yearn for a spouse and children. I resolutely prayed that God would bless me in that way. Sometimes, I forget that, in the midst of my daily struggle to be content in my role as mother (especially, when I am plagued by doubts as to my fitness for the job).

This past week, my thoughts, like those of millions of others, have been focused on Haiti, in the wake of the devastation from the earthquake which decimated Port Au Prince. Initially, this was near to my heart because I have a friend, Steve Diaz, who has ministered for The Salvation Army at their children's home there. I have seen many photos of the children and the facility and watched loads of other friends visit them there.

However, it quickly became even more personal. My sister wrote to say that her husband, Captain David Worthy, was being sent to Haiti to assist with the international emergency relief work. I can think of no better man to send.





David grew up, like my siblings and I, in the home of Salvation Army officers. His parents were stationed in Charleston, South Carolina, when Hurricane Hugo hit. Thus, David was inducted into the realm of Salvation Army disaster services. When Hurricane Andrew hit, his dad was moved to the location to minister and then hired my sister and brother-in-law to come assist him. From that point, my sister and brother-in-law became Salvation Army officers and have garnered loads of education and experience in disaster services work.

David has been sending photos to his Facebook account via his mobile phone to keep us up-to-date on their efforts. It was thrilling to notice that another friend, Craig Arnold, was also on the team with David. Craig is also expertly suited for this role. He works in the shipping business. As David put it, this evening "he's a machine" (he was apparently still working, even though they had all shut down for the evening).



Finally, The Salvation Army agreed to send Steve Diaz back to Haiti as well. I have been imagining the joy on the faces of those children at seeing Steve back on their home turf. He has such a heart for Haiti and loves the people he has ministered to. His Haitian wife, Ketsia, remains in their appointment in Saint Louis, with their one year old son, Kyle. She was relieved to get word that her own family members, though homeless now, are safe. They have been in my thoughts and prayers often this week.



My own corps officer is being sent to Haiti tomorrow, to join my friends and the other workers with The Salvation Army. I am praying for their safety as they minister in what has been declared one of the most dangerous parts of the city (I'm guessing this is because of the looting that has been going on). I am praying that they will be able to be the hands and feet of God as they minister to this grief-stricken and impoverished country. I am thankful that the Lord has made a way for them to be a part of the restoration process, since in sending them, it has stirred the thoughts and prayers of so many who know them personally. God truly raised these men up, for such a time as this. May He also give them rest and renewed vision so that they fully realize how providential it was that they were prepared and called, for such a time as this!

No comments: