Monday, January 18, 2010

Book Review: Have a Little Faith


Generally, you know when you pick up a Mitch Albom book, that it will be easy to read and will involve interesting stories about interesting individuals. This book delivers exactly that combination - an interesting story about two interesting individuals who cross Mitch Albom's path and enrich his faith in God. He gets to know two ministers. One is the Jewish rabbi of his boyhood, Rabbi Albert Lewis, and the other is an inner city pastor in Detroit, Henry Covington (formerly an addict and a criminal). Mitch Albom, himself, introduces the book in this video.

Although I cannot say that it is my favorite Mitch Albom book. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the stories of these two men. Albom's premise throughout this book is that we should allow our faith to bind us together instead of creating a divide. This is an honorable goal. It was fascinating to follow Albom's encounters and perceptions of both the rabbi and the unlikely pastor of the I Am My Brother's Keeper Church/Homeless Shelter. When the rabbi's eulogy was finally pronounced, I had come to love the rabbi as if I had known him personally. Moreover, I said a prayer of thanks when I discovered this video, showing that the damaged roof of Henry Covington's church has recently been fixed.

Albom is clearly drawn to these ministers who express faith in the midst of adversity. He encourages his readers to develop a closer relationship with their God and to band together to help each other out. I did find the take-away a bit wishy-washy (have faith in whatever you believe, whatever form of religion takes your fancy, in whatever manner you choose), but I was inspired to recognize again how often God steps in and ministers to our human frailties and unexpected trials.

I've known some very interesting individuals in my life-time (one even allowed me to interview her for an oral history project, similar to the process Mitch Albom takes), but I don't think I could ever present the life of another person as eloquently as Mitch Albom. Boy, it would be fun to try, though!

No comments: