Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Overheard

Tonight, as I was making dinner, my five year old shouted out: "Ewww, what's that STENCH???"

Before I could even reply, he added, "Oh yeah, it's YOUR dinner!"

I find this especially funny since I wasn't even making a malodorous meal - nothing like salmon or bean soup. We had broccoli casserole. They had "slurpee noodles," as they call it (Marie Callendar's Fettuccine with Chicken and Broccoli).


It worked out well since slurpee noodles happens to be their favorite meal and hubby and I love this broccoli casserole so much that we have it once a week.

It is a Bisquick recipe, which I have altered to add baby carrots because hubby loves those. I searched for it on-line to provide an illustration, but alas, the recipe is not listed (despite the fact that I have a recipe card from General Mills, go figure). I did see a similar recipe that added cooked chicken, but it also called for eggs, which would give a different flavor to the crumbly topping. I may have to try adding chicken cubes to this recipe sometime.

Creamy Broccoli Bake

Steam 1 cup baby carrots and 2 cups broccoli, then place in the bottom of a casserole dish. Mix 1/4 cup milk with 1 can cream of mushroom soup and pour over vegetables. Sprinkle on 1/2 to 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Blend 1/4 cup firm margarine with 1 cup Bisquick (or any baking mix) until crumbly and sprinkle over the top. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Yum! And I promise it doesn't really smell bad.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That broccoli casserole sounds good even without the Bisquick. Does the Bisquick add a crumbly top or a biscuit top?

Not a fan of the doughy Bisquick biscuit. I wonder if I could use breadcrumbs instead.

Wendy Hill said...

CG - The Bisquick adds a crumbly topping, not biscuity at all. I think breadcrumbs on top would be healthier, but not quite as tasty.

Wendy Hill said...

If I knew how to get my scanner to work on our printer, I could scan the recipe, since it has a picture on it.