Monday, October 4, 2021

Book Review: The Banishment

This time I got smart and searched the library holdings for audio books in the category "England." I'm so wishing my library had this whole Daughters of Mannerling series - I believe there are six books. We only have this first installment, The Banishment. Although it says it is by Marion Chesney, I discovered the author also goes by a much more familiar name, M. C. Beaton. I thank her for providing a good, clean, Regency romance (even if not my first choice in fare).

When Sir William Beverley gambles his entire fortune and loses the Mannerling family estate, his beautiful, prideful daughters cannot abide this banishment. They now live in a small cottage with few servants and are desperate to reclaim their grand property. Thus, they scheme and plot for the oldest daughter, Isabella, to woo the new owner, Mr. Judd. Of course, he is a brute (bent on destroying Mannerling). Of course, there is another love interest. I agree wholeheartedly with the back cover that proclaims, "Chesney's enchanting tale is pure joy from beginning to end. Narrator Jill Tanner provides a dignified voice for the proud Isabella as she grapples with difficult choices that will change her family forever."

Hoopla offers the second installment, The Intrigue. However, it is an audiobook. Somehow, I need to make the sound on my phone loud enough to cover the sound of the treadmill or recumbent bike. Perhaps I could get an earpiece that would solve that problem. John bought one because he was getting headaches from all the time on his cell phone, dealing with details of my mother-in-law's estate. He says this little device is a godsend. Perhaps it will solve my problems, as well.

No comments: