Thursday, October 7, 2021

Book Review: The Unseen Guest

It has been a while since I've listened to an episode of The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place by Maryrose Wood. I probably wouldn't have picked it up again (as the narrator, who does an excellent job of providing various voices, veers on nerve-shattering with some voices), but I have only had attention for audio books. I'm always in need of new audio options and this popped up when I searched for books about England. 

The Unseen Guest is the third book in the series. Some things I enjoy and some things I tolerate. The books have a somewhat patronizing tone - I think this is intentional, though. It is simply part of the voice of the books. The idea is interesting enough and prods many questions: How did the wolf children survive in the woods of Ashton Place for so long? Where are governess Penelope's parents? Who is hunting for the children and why? Lots of puns, lists of synonyms, light-hearted banter. But, I should point out to parents that this volume includes a séance, so if you're not wanting to lead your children into such territory, stay out of the environs of Ashton Place. Unsure if I will continue.

No comments: