Monday, March 27, 2023

Book Review: My Jesus

I struggle with change. My experience with this book highlights an example. I happily added my name to the hold list when my library shared about this recent acquisition. Okay, so I love my library's hold options. I love being able to drive up and, long past the initial pandemic necessity, have someone walk my held books out to my car. Thank you! Thank you! 

What I do not love is my library's new card catalog platform. Why mess with a good thing, I ask? I used to be able to see early on if a book had no option for renewal (meaning the hold list is long and the next person is already waiting for their turn). Now, patrons are told how many times they have renewed a book, rather than how many renewals are still available. Thus, you remain in the dark until a few days prior to the due date, when the library sends a notification explaining that a further renewal is not available. I desperately need more than a few day's notice.

So, there I was, facing down the notification email. I had three days to return this book, My Jesus: From Heartache to Hope by Anne Wilson. Thank goodness it is a short, easy read (194 pages). I suppose the key is simple. Check out fewer books and get around to them the moment you bring them home - ha!😉

My Jesus shares the personal testimony of a new Christian recording artist, Anne Wilson. The tragic loss of Anne's older brother, in a car accident, shifted Anne's career trajectory. Her dreams of becoming an astronaut (something my youngest has expressed a vague interest in) faded when a talent scout found a video of Anne singing her funeral contribution, "What a Wonderful Name." Sadly, I was out of the loop on this. (When I still had my van with its broken CD player, I usually listened to Christian radio. Now that I'm in a car with a functioning CD player, I tend to use that time to listen to audio books.) Apparently, Anne's first song, "My Jesus," went to the top of the charts immediately.

If you are seeking a quick and encouraging Christian testimony, this book fits the bill. While the writing is not noteworthy, the story is sincere and inspirational. Of course, as soon as I closed the book (just in time to return it to the library, shwew), I logged on to YouTube and listened to "My Jesus," "What a Wonderful Name," and one other song called "No Place Like Home." They were a great accompaniment to this personal story.

========

Now, I wouldn't be averse to a change like this: A library in Colorado has a self-checkout station where you can select the language for your receipt. One option is "Pirate" language. This is how the receipt prints out:


(Photo from Carole O'Brien on Facebook)

2 comments:

Gretchen said...


Regarding change, many of us are in the same boat. We cringe with change, especially when it brings learning curves!

It sounds like another good read. It's encouraging to read/hear real stories of how God works in lives despite dark and difficult situations.

Finally, I love the pirate talk! Too funny!

Thanks for your reviews!

Gretchen

Wendy Hill said...

Gretchen - Yes, I'm slow with the learning curves. It took me a while to figure out how to find the publication date (something that interests me) and page count. That too, used to be more readily available. I'm too soft - I like things easy. I resent the extra effort it takes to find the information I want. I suppose I could go to each book listing and somehow find whether there are any future holds on the book - but I don't want to work that hard - ha! Laziness. - But that pirate receipt would be so cool, wouldn't it?