Thursday, March 2, 2023

Book Review: Heaven Rules

I had brought books along to read on my recent trip. Yet my dad, in the middle of reading this book, was insistent that I take this book back to my hotel room to read. My compliant personality kicked in and I finished the book in time to return it to his bookshelf.

Focusing on the book of Daniel, Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth outlines how these two pithy words, "heaven rules," can address every temptation to worry that we face. Worry is like believing God just might get it wrong. But in every crazy situation we face, even the ones that seem contrary to what we think God would will for us, God in heaven is in control. His sovereign hand will never leave us.

I appreciated this book immensely. It gives excellent reminders to set our minds at ease. For example, here are 3 truths that the author draws from her experience with her husband's cancer: "1. Anything that makes us need God is a blessing. 2. You can trust God to write your story. and 3. Heaven rules!" I valued her observation, "You can be wrecked by bad news, even while fully convinced of God's abundant compassion" Too true! And finally, one of my favorite quotes (because it reminds me why I am doing my Facebook Prayer Project) - "Looking at life through the Heaven Rules lens makes doing almost anything other than prayer seem unproductive by comparison." May I always remember to trust in God's sovereignty and to lift hands to heaven submissive to His will.


Perhaps you prefer podcasts to books - The Revive Our Hearts organization that Wolgemuth works with has You Tube episodes with wisdom from this book. Here is a link to the first episode.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...


I love this: "Heaven rules" does not call for a passive acceptance of fate, it comes with the promise of grace for the battle.

Thanks!

Wendy Hill said...

Yes, Gretchen, I loved that line, too. Despite all the challenges and troubles in this fallen world, we have a King who reigns supreme!