Thursday, March 17, 2022

Lucky Me!

Oh, how I love when I snag a deal! It wasn't even the deal I thought I was heading out to get. Last week, I arranged to purchase a two-drawer locking file cabinet on a rolling stand for $10. Arriving early to the seller's set location (the Goodwill parking lot), I needed to kill some time. Of course, I headed to the book section. Once there, I found a beautiful boxed set of 3 Bill Bryson audio books. I already have read and own the hardcover of these titles, yet I'm thrilled with this opportunity to listen. If you're not familiar with Bill Bryson, his wit is a joy!



I would have happily paid the set price of $1.99 for three audio books. Lucky me - the half-price color of the day (brown), meant I snagged this set for one measly dollar. On Amazon, the set sells for $50. Score! I happened upon a new Facebook group this past week and almost joined, just so I could show off this astounding find. It is called Weird (and Wonderful) Secondhand Finds That Just Need to be Shared. The group is open to the public and has about 2.5 million members. Apparently, I'm not alone in my thrill of snagging a deal or searching for unusual bargains.

I'll begin with I'm a Stranger Here Myself, an essay collection about returning to the United States after years of living in Britain. I seem to recall sending a copy of this book to my older brother, David. If he read it, I never heard. While I wish these were full versions, I'll settle for approved abridgements. Eighteen hours of listening pleasure!

No comments: