Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Book Review: Blue Shoes and Happiness


I have finished another enjoyable installment in the Ladies Detective Agency books by Alexander McCall Smith. Once again, I chose to listen to the audio version. I absolutely love listening to Lisette Lecat. Hearing the stories read in the intended dialect adds to the beauty of the experience.

Alexander McCall Smith has a gift for voice. I feel as if I know Precious Ramotswe personally. When I enter into these books, I feel as if I am watching life unfold in Botswana. I came across an unfavorable review of the first book in this series (the person thought the book was boring), and thought, "This person must not appreciate a finely-drawn character who moves in a foreign sphere and makes it come alive."

I'm not sure if our library has the next installment on CD yet. This will determine how soon I tackle the next book in the series (Book 8: .The Good Husband of Zebra Drive).

2 comments:

Maria (also Bia) said...

We just got back from vacation and I am finally catching up on my reading. I loved your haiku . . . and it's so true. Many, many times it wasn't until the two older boys were in school, or at a friend's house, or sleeping over at grandparents that I realized what a big help they are with our four year old.

I haven't heard of these books, but I agree with you that sometimes it's just lovely to listen to a book on tape.

Wendy Hill said...

Bia - Glad you are having some family vacation time.

Let me know if you ever give the Number One Ladies Detective Agency books a try. I have enjoyed them and also, another by A. M. Smith, about a philosopher's club (can't recall the title at the moment). It is amazing that a man does such a fine job of writing from a woman's perspective in these books.