Monday, July 7, 2008

Random Thoughts

Read a blog tonight about a family's vacation to Mackinac Island in Michigan! - Here is one destination I would love to visit as a family. If you have ever been there, what do you recommend during such a visit? And, if you've been there, but haven't viewed the movie "Somewhere in Time," starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour, then you have a lovely treat awaiting you. The movie was filmed on Mackinac Island and is one of my favourites (yes, that's a British spelling!).

Am praying for the following people tonight: Kennedy Garcia (post-surgery); Coleman Larson & family; my niece Amelia & family (as they return from a family trip and have Amelia's dr. appt.); and my in-laws.

Not sure if my father-in-law will live to see his next birthday (I believe it will be his 86th).

Don't know if my mother-in-law will survive the emotional toll of caring for him in the midst of all his pain and relentless medical difficulties.

Our house will sure seem quieter this week (I couldn't write QUIET because MS will still be here!): This morning I dropped ES off at the corps (Salvation Army church building) because he is headed off to Jr. High Camp for five days. He returns on Friday afternoon, but I will turn around and take him back to the corps to attend Music Camp from July 12-19th. I am hoping he has a wonderful time and praying that he takes in as much spiritual nourishment as possible. I know he is looking forward to playing paintball there!

Must Lose Weight! - Our annual 10-day Bible camp (CBLI) begins in less than three weeks. I am very much looking forward to it, but feeling a bit self-conscious since I have gained a bit of weight in the mid-section in the past six months. Of course, our cook-out at my brother-in-law's house on the 4th didn't help things in that area. He grilled and also presented us with his homemade ice-cream (chocolate peanut butter). I hope my nicer clothes still fit (since I hardly ever wear them while caring for these messy boys).

The prizes at the library might not keep my reluctant ES reading this summer! - This morning we popped into the library quickly so that he could get his weekly stamp and prize for reading. Last year, as I mentioned before, he was thrilled when one week they offered a ticket to Indiana Beach. The librarian was nice and let him pick from two different week's prizes (since he had also listened to a book on tape with the family during a car-trip in June). Get this: One box held small wrist tattoos and the other held pirate key-chains. He cheerfully decided to give them to MS. Thankfully, he will still be entered for the grand prizes (one of which is a free guitar lesson at the local music store).

How many text messages will have accumulated on ES's cell phone by the time he returns from camp??? How many phone calls will we get from his friends? So far - only one, but it was a good one. Michael, ES's best friend from IL, called and it was confirmed with his mother that he will be able to come home with us after CBLI for half a week.

Overwhelming desire to figure out how to convince hubby to let me attend Blog Indiana. So far I have mentioned it in passing and he laughed it off. Don't know if he was serious or just kidding. Would it be wrong to sign up for it without his consent and then just meet him at the door when he returns home from work that Saturday to say, "Hi, Honey. Here are the kids. I'm going to a blogging conference. See Ya!" Probably.

UGLY - is the only word that would describe my legs right now. I'm not sure if it is an outbreak of eczema or not, but I'm really going insane with all the intense itching on my body (various patches besides legs, too - seems to crop up from contact areas as well, like bra straps, watch band, waist, etc.). Had a similar outbreak prior to son #3 and have been to many doctors, but never seem to get relief. Groan.

Grateful for my evening hours of quiet! - I don't know how I'd get by if I didn't have a few hours to myself each evening. Tonight I read, then rode the ancient exercycle downstairs (a relic from my in-laws), then logged on to read mail and other blogs. I feel recharged.

Hoping I'll still get enough sleep, despite getting recharged on the computer.

Tempted to try to take my MS and YS to a free movie this Wednesday. It is called the "Bee Movie" and MS had wanted to see it back when all the commercials were showing. Perhaps it is an insane prospect, since YS is only 18 months old.

Summer is going by so quickly. Once ES returns from his two camps, we have one week at home and then head off to CBLI. After CBLI, we will try to fit in a trip to the Indiana State Fair. Then, school resumes shortly after that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy, you definitely need to call your doctor and ask for some Lidex. That's the generic name, not sure what the long proper name is. Something like Fluoro someting or other.

Anyway, this stuff is MAGIC for eczema, which is something I suffer from. Usually it's on my legs, but in winter it migrates to my hands as well.

Lidex stops it in its tracks. It also works very well on mosquito bites, though I'm not sure that's what it's intended for.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Wendy, I agree, you should see a doctor about your rash. I tend to have skin "issues"...seborhea dermatitis flares up sometimes and I have roseacea and a nickle-allergy. Michael has eczema, which is worse in the winter when his skin is dry. He gets patches on his legs and arms and trunk. The doctor has him using a combination of vaseline and an over the counter (should remember the name of it) anti-inflammatory/anti-itch cream I read something recently about "Dermatitis herpetiformis" in which breakouts are usually extremely itchy and is related to a gluten allergy. It may present as a patch of red skin with little water blisters scattered about. It is a systemic condition; the unpredictable skin rash may appear or be exacerbated by any irritation such as dry skin, scratching or clothing that is rough or scratchy. The fact that the rash is most prevalent at pressure points (where clothing rubs the most) may be why the symptoms sometimes appear to be symmetrical. Good luck with this and report back if you discover anything more about it. ~Karin

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Man I hope you can figure out that rash!!! Looks painful! Thanks for praying for Kennedy!