Saturday, July 12, 2008

Gotta Love CVS!

When you sign on for a CVS Extra Care Bucks card, you can sign up on-line as well, and thus receive additional promotional offers on-line. A few months ago, I received an on-line offer to triple the extra bucks received for prescriptions filled. Apparently, every time I fill a prescription, CVS attributes $1 to my ECB account. With this coupon, they would increase that to $3 per prescription through some date in June.

The only problem I have encountered is in actually using these on-line offers. When you print up the coupon, it fails to print the bar code. It tells the clerk how to deal with this and it also informs the customer that some parts of the coupon might not print out thoroughly. Anyway, when I headed to CVS to take advantage of this deal (I had two prescriptions to fill that day), the clerk summoned the manager. They had never been informed about the coupon and couldn't get it to work. The manager took my name and number and called me back a few days later. It did require a second trip back to the pharmacy, but eventually the manager corrected the problem to allow my access to the deal.

A few weeks later, I received another on-line coupon. They sent $5 to apologize for the difficulties many people had in using the previous coupon. No complaints here.

When I filled my most recent prescription there, the receipt included the windfall from that original on-line deal. I received $9 in Extra Care Bucks to be spent at CVS. Plus, tonight I logged on and noticed an AOL story about people's preferences in pharmacies and that reminded me that CVS had sent me another on-line coupon valid only this weekend (good for $3 off any purchase of >$15). So, with kiddies tucked in bed, I headed off to CVS alone (the only way to bargain shop!).

Here is a photo of what I came home with. I purchased two cans of Pringles, two boxes of Fiber One Oat & Chocolate bars, 2 packs of 22 CVS pantyliners, four small bottles of Dawn Dishwashing Soap and a bottle of Aveeno Skin Relief Body Wash. Everything but the body wash was on sale. I will admit, I paid more for that than I normally would for body wash, but I am interested to see if it will alleviate some of my itching issues.

At the checkout counter, I handed over my CVS card, my $3 off coupon and my $9 in ECBs. This brought the total price I owed down to $8.57! Plus, at the bottom of my receipt, I have $5 in ECBs to spend at my next visit and a coupon for a free CVS hand sanitizer spray pen.

It reminds me of Catherine's post where she told the story of two Indianapolis CVS stores which were robbed. Catherine is another die-hard CVS fan and she wondered why anyone would bother to rip off a CVS, when the store basically pays you to shop there! As I said before, gotta love CVS!

Of course, Catherine's really amazing because she dressed up her entire family in cow costumes (simple act of magic marker spots on white t-shirts) and headed over to Chik-fil-A's Customer Appreciation event on Friday night. By dressing up, her entire family received free meals at Chik-fil-A! Now, there's a woman who knows how to stretch a dime!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I'm glad you had such a successful CVS trip! Isn't it fun?