Saturday, May 30, 2009

Book Review: The Omega-3 Connection

I really stumbled upon this book. Back when I was looking for a hard-copy version of Restak's Poe's Heart and the Mountain Climber, I noticed a few other books in that section which looked interesting. Dr. Andrew Stoll's book, The Omega-3 Connection, was one of them. It didn't surprise me when my husband grabbed up the book from my pile before I could even begin to read it. He is quite interested in health matters and subscribes to the "Nutrition Action Healthletter" (billed as "the world's largest-circulation health newsletter"), which is put out by the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI). I believe I remember reading something about the importance of Omega-3 in their newsletter.

What caught my eye was a tag above the title, which read "The groundbreaking omega-3 antidepression diet and brain program." I am not thrilled about taking medication to control health issues. If I could, I would treat my health problems with diet and more natural courses of action.

However, having said that, I know that sometimes the medication is absolutely necessary. I asked my doctor if I could try to manage my high cholesterol with diet and exercise. He indicated that the diet and exercise will help and natural supplements would bring the numbers down a bit, but in order to keep those numbers in a healthy realm, I will probably have to continue taking the Zocor.

Moreover, even though I've had some difficulty nailing down the best antideppresant for treating my current clinical depression, I'm not about to go off the medication and attempt to treat my depression entirely through diet. For one thing, I doubt I would have the self-discipline to limit myself to the foods which promote better mental health (i.e., I can't imagine giving up chocolate and sweets entirely). But, I would be more than willing to alter my diet to include more of the foods which naturally boost my own body's ability to fight the depression.

Dr. Stoll is the Director of the Psycho-pharmacology Research Labratory at Harvard's McLean Hospital. He has done extensive research in treating bipolar disorder (manic depression). During his search for medications with fewer side effects, he began to realize that omega-3 fatty acids (common fish oil) held tremendous power for healing psychiatric ailments and boosting the power of the brain.

His explanation is simple, yet profound: "Until the 20th century, omega-3 fatty acids, derived largely from cold water oily fish from the ocean or freshwater lakes and rivers, as well as wild animals and plants, were common elements of the human diet. Today, with the advent of processed foods and the reduction of omega-3 fatty acids in the typical Western diet, that has changed." While he admits that far more proof needs to be gleaned, he highlights evidence from the statistics taken from various cultures (like the Japanese and those from Mediterranean regions) where depression and heart disease seem far less prevalent.

Both omega-3 and omega 6 fatty acids occur normally within the brain. The problem develops when these two elements are out of balance. Our modern diets tend to favor the omega-6 fatty acids. This delicate balance appears to be relevant in many different illnesses. Dr. Stoll mentioned connections to the problems of Chrohn's disease, arthritis, asthma, lupus, heart disease and even cancer (though he clearly states that "Although omega-3 fatty acids may lower risk for cancer, they are unlikely to be the primary therapy for any form of cancer. Much, much more research needs to be done to explore these connections. Nonetheless, there is reason to believe they may prove valuable as health-promoting adjuncts to chemotherapy, radiation and surgery."

He cites numerous studies where the benefits of a healthy omega-3 and omega-6 balance clearly altered participants risk of depression and disease. Yet, in a section titled "Why Don't More Cardiologists Recommend Omega-3 Fatty Acids?," he identifies the sad fact of our country's moral battle with greed. He writes, "omega-3 essential fatty acids from fish oil are considered a food or an over-the-counter dietary supplement, and therefore no pharmaceutical company is promoting fish oil supplements to physicians."

Dr. Stoll outlines the research behind his belief in the power of omega-3, discusses the various supplements currently available in health food stores (included risks and benefits of other supplements, like St. John's Wort), and outlines his "Omega-3 Renewal Plan" with supplement guidelines and healthy recipes for incorporating more omega-3 fatty acids into your diet. The appendices provide a wealth of information and resources.

This was a helpful, informative book. My only complaint would be his belief in evolution. I can overlook that and still glean the important information concerning the brain's need for a healthy balance of the omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. I have been taking a supplement (although not at the level suggested by Dr. Stoll) ever since I began reading this book and I will continue. I have made attempts to increase our intake of omega-3 (even purchasing margarine's which boast a higher omega-3 content - although I'm trying to limit my own margarine use).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've definitely heard that Omega-3 fatty acids (doesn't that sound funny -- fatty acids?) were good for overall health, but I never heard about the link to depression.

You may recall that I absolutely hate seafood. So I'm wondering if this guy is behind supplements and if so, did he say how much you have to take to get the same benefits?

I could handle a pill, but not an entree.

NY Surgery table said...

I noticed a few other books in that section which looked interesting. Dr. Andrew Stoll's book, i will read it myself.

Surgical Tables said...

Thank you for sharing your stuff on blog.