Thursday, May 21, 2009

Favorite Things Thursday: Walks in the Park

Today we had a fabulous walk in the nearby park. It was a beautiful, warm day. We didn't bother trying to bring MS's bike, so I didn't get frustrated over a chain coming off. Plus, I didn't stress over making sure the walk was brisk enough to be considered exercise. Instead, we had loads of fun just enjoying the opportunity to take in so many simple pleasures.



We happened upon an unexpected encounter with a turtle. Of course, I thought I would never get MS away from the scene. We decided to take a chance and walk back to the van for the camera. Thankfully, when we returned to the original spot, the turtle was still there. Now MS has changed his pet requests to a turtle.





The boys also loved watching a big machine working on scooping dirt over some pipes they are placing (I'm guessing they are trying to improve the drainage in case of another flood like we had last May). A few days ago, when we walked in the park, the pipes were sitting by the side of the parking area. Both boys had a blast yelling into them and hearing their voices echo back.

Of course, we also ran into a dog - another must-stop for the boys.



Plus, they wanted to run up on the bridge. I wanted a photo of them, but I'm thinking I should have skipped the bloggist impulse to turn everything into a photo-op. YS ran all the way across the bridge and down the other side. Thankfully, no cars were coming along the road, but still, I had to hoof it pretty fast to catch up to him.




It was a wonderful morning and I hope we can enjoy many repeats throughout the summer.

3 comments:

Jenners said...

This sounds like a little boys fantasy walk!!! Bridges, turtles, dogs, echos, big machines ... my son would have loved it. It is this kind of thing that will stick in their heads forever!

And I want to let you know you won the book "Family Man" by Calvin Trillin on my book blog!!! If you'll e-mail me your mailing address, I'll get the book out to you right away! Congrats and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Anonymous said...

Looks like such a great park, Wendy! Continue to treasure these times of exploration with the little boys and remember them when you are pulling your hair out because of them at other times...and it helps make it all worthwhile!

~Karin

Wendy Hill said...

Jenners - Thanks for having that contest on your blog. I am looking forward to reading another Calvin Trillin book.

Karin - Yes, this park is fantastic. I can't wait until both of the little boys can ride their bikes there. It will be lots of fun. I am so thankful that kids don't remain 2 forever!