Friday, October 23, 2020

Book Review: Craigslist Confessional

Secrets are hard things to carry. I assume most people have some secret they feel they would never deign to share with another individual. Secrets are beguiling. We read books full of secrets because they suck us in with intrigue and mystery. But, I don't know if I would ever divulge my secrets to a stranger, even if the opportunity arose.

I think more than anything this book, Craigslist Confessional, made me sad. Of course, it makes sense that it might because people seldom withhold information that is light-hearted or uplifting. Such stories can be shared in the open. The stories in this book present details of life that are shameful, tragic, depressing, or scandalous.

The author, Helena dea Bala, pursued an interesting idea. After her own unburdening to a stranger lightened her spirits, she reasoned others might welcome a listening ear. She placed an ad and people willingly came out of hiding to share deeply personal stories.

As a writer, I enjoy eavesdropping. It is a skill that leads to great character development and realistic dialogue. Curiosity pulls me in when I overhear a heated discussion. But the book still left a foul taste. While the concept was intriguing, I'm wishing I had averted my eyes. I would have been better served by inspirational testimonies. Clearly, I'm not cut out to be a priest or therapist. Confession may benefit the soul, but woe to the listening ear.

No comments: