Monday, October 26, 2020

Book Review: The Grain Brain Whole Life Plan

Since I loved Dr. David Perlmutter's book, Brain Maker, I checked out a neighboring library's copy of the audiobook, The Grain Brain Whole Life Plan. A year ago, I was doing well. I followed the ketogenic diet paired with intermittent fasting as suggested in The End of Alzheimer's book. Dropping eighteen pounds is no small feat. Yet I persisted with the diet and schedule until I reached my goal weight. Sadly, as I approached the winter holidays, I eased up on my fierce adherence. By the time the lockdown occurred in March, I had given it up entirely and it didn't take long to replace the lost pounds (after all, I was baking bread with the masses).

I doubt I will follow Dr. Perlmutter's protocol from this book. Even still, listening to his advice was beneficial. It put me in the mood to take control once again and avoid carbs. I'm finding the scheduling aspect more difficult this time around. Many nights, I cannot eat early enough because Sean is out with after-school activities and our dinner gets pushed later. While I don't mind eating by myself and finishing by 4:30, it alienates my family when I'm eating separately. So, this is a wrinkle I still need to iron.

Instead of listening to the last chapter (the recipes), I returned the audio book and checked out the physical book. It felt like a wasted effort. None of the recipes looked appealing, and I already know what works for me with meals and snacks. I prefer simple and easy as opposed to elaborate and exotic meal plans. Still, I'm glad I checked out the book so I could copy down several of the listed meaningful quotations (he presents a list of thirty in the support strategies section).

My next goal, when all of this hullabaloo blows over and going to the doctor doesn't seem like a life-threatening option, will be to request a sleep study. I'm certain I have sleep apnea. My husband says my snoring is very loud. I wake often during the night to use the restroom. Dr. Perlmutter recommends many helpful things to focus on, and sleep and stress are as important as diet and exercise. Even if you don't plan to follow this book's diet protocol, the encouragements for a better lifestyle can only be beneficial.

No comments: