Beth Holbrook is elated by an offer of publication for her parenting book. As a pastor's wife and parenting coach, things are at a high point. Within the space of one day, those successes begin to crumble, when her 18-year-old daughter runs away. Leesa is on a self-destructive path. Indeed, she digs her hole deeper and deeper as the pages fly by. (Oh, how I could relate!)
Beth and her husband Kevin, like many couples parenting a prodigal, have differing opinions on the necessary response. These pages articulated the very difficulties I fought in seeking the best course of action with my wayward son. They illustrate the gamut of emotions parents and prodigals experience. Will the ripples from Leesa's sin spill over to fracture Beth and Kevin's marriage? Can God bring good from hopeless, unwanted situations?
The book has won several awards. It earned first place in the American Fiction Awards for the religious fiction category and Contemporary Novel of the Year in the Christian Market Book Awards. I was grateful to read this story of God's redemption, prior to Trevor's death, because it reminded me of God's presence in the battle. Pain drives prodigals, but their pain spills over into other lives. This book is important! Sin scars the entire family. But God... works with our weaknesses to reveal His strengths, and praise God, He is stronger than any storm we face! We can count on God's providential hand to carry us when wounded and weary, and redeem us when broken and spent.
======
I moved this review up in my queue as it is currently on sale in e-book form for a few more days. Snag the savings! You won't regret it!


2 comments:
Wendy, words can't express my gratitude for how God is using Stronger than the Storm to encourage and bless readers. I'm so grateful you took a chance on a debut author and read my book, and I'm so humbled over your gracious review. Thank you! May God bless you and give you grace and strength as you navigate each personal storm you face.
Deena, your book was helpful and encouraging. It is so important, in these battles, to know we are not alone. I am, indeed, in the midst of storms, but God is giving grace and strength amid the many prayers of others.
Post a Comment