Sunday, January 13, 2008

Boys Love to Build and Tear Down

Today was a day of building and tearing down. We spent most of the afternoon playing with one of the most amazing toys I've ever seen. They are called "Magna-tiles" and they offer hours of entertainment for all ages. I was introduced to this toy by my friend Laura. Her daughter and my MS had so much fun playing with the tiles this past summer that when Christmas rolled around, I had to ask her how to get them. She warned me that they are fairly pricey, but well worth it, because they will see a great deal of use (don't you hate it when you spend money on toys and then your children fail to ever play with them). She also warned that the smaller sets tend to leave kids frustrated because they will really want to build a lot and 30 or 40 pieces just aren't enough. So, when my mil asked what she could get the boys for Christmas, I suggested the 100 piece clear Magnatiles set. (Laura said her kids favor these over the opaque because they can put toys inside the buildings and see them.) What a fabulous toy! Why haven't they marketed this more? They are safer than many of the other magnetic toys on the market because there are no tiny magnets which could be ingested or lost. We have been absolutely thrilled with this gift. I love to sit with the boys and build. Today, we built several towers and DESTROYED every one, too! So if you are in the market for a pricey, but enduring gift for any child over 2, I have to put in my own plug for Magna-tiles.

No comments: