Wednesday, January 16, 2008

New Lingo

Tonight my ES was telling me about his wrestling practice. He explained that the inexperienced wrestlers had to wrestle the experienced ones. Then he said "I didn't know the moves they were teaching tonight, so I was one of the inexperienced ones" (I know he thought I was thinking of him as an experienced one). He went on to add, "The guy I wrestled was incredible. He TOTALLY OWNED ME!" "Owning" something, I have learned, is to master it or beat it completely. He also uses this phrase when referring to his newest Playstation Game, one called Guitar Hero, which allows him to play on a plastic guitar and try to cover the colors on the strets (is that what they're called?) at the appropriate time. I have to admit the game is challenging. He let me try one of the easy songs and I only completed 90 percent of the song (Ah, my competitive soul was showing though, because I kept urging him to get Dad to try so that I could see if my percentage is better than his - HA!). Unfortunately, for most of the things in his world that I try right now ... they TOTALLY OWN ME! and not the other way around. Groan.

3 comments:

Lucille said...

Hi! Thanks for de-lurking - ha, ha!

I smiled at that phrase your son used - I remember people saying that! Things change and then again - they don't.

As for the Bear fans - your brother is much like mine - he gets ribbed all the time. He did something so risky...I bought him a HUGE Chicago Bear's blow up thing (like the Santa's you see in people's yards) and he inflated IT - every Sunday the Bears played. Ha, ha! YES he lives in Wisconsin and dares to do that!

Hope to hear from you again!

Sarah says... said...

I think the word you were looking for on the guitar was 'frets'.

So - did you get that comparison of percentages yet? Come on - I really want to know who won!

Wendy Hill said...

Thanks for for the word. As I was writing it, my brain kept saying, "This isn't right." But, not being a guitar player, I just couldn't land on the right one. No - Dad will resolutely not try to play Guitar Hero, probably because he is AS competetive as me and WOULD NOT WANT TO LOSE!! Ha! Every time B asks him, he says no. I take solace in the fact that B told me that my score is actually higher than his was when he first tried that song on GH. Yah!