Sunday, January 13, 2008

Why I blog

A few years ago, my friend Sarah started a blog. I met Sarah in England, while living and working in South London twenty-some years ago. She then moved to Latvia, married and had a child. As soon as I began reading her blog, I wanted to blog. But I thought, "Who would want to read what I write about? I'm not a missionary. I don't have astounding news to keep people posted on." Then, my brother's daughter was diagnosed with leukemia. In an effort to keep us all up-to-date, their family began a blog with the CaringBridge site at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/ameliagorton . It has been a phenomenal experience watching this cancer journey unfold and feeling the support of many who visit their blog. Then, a friend sent me an e-mail with a link to a crazy E-bay auction for Pokemon cards and I became hooked on Dawn Meehan's blog at http://mom2my6pack.blogspot.com and this led to others blogs which I frequent now. I'm hoping my friend Cardiogirl at http://cardiogirl.net can help me figure this process out, since I tried to upload photos to my post on Magnatiles and it didn't work. Thanks for your patience, readers, as I learn to navigate the blogging process.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Wendy! I am so excited, this is so awesome! You will figure the photos out, I just sent you a long rambling email that I think makes some sense and sooner than later you will get the right code to put a picture in.

Congrats on your new blog!!

Way to go!

Catherine said...

Hi Wendy! To put photos on posts, I use the little button on the blogger screen (it looks like a landscape and is the third button to the left of the word "preview"). After you click that button, you can upload photos from anywhere - I just take mine right from the file folder I keep on my desktop. You don't have to publish the pictures to another website first. The picture window lets you decide how you want the photos to appear - left, right, center, big, small etc - and then builds them right into your HTML. Blogger also has a video function that works the same way - that button looks like a filmstrip and is just to the right of the photo button.

I hope that helps, and have fun blogging!

Wendy Hill said...

Catherine: That is exactly what I did. It said "Uploading photos to Blogger" and then it said "Done." When I view my blog - no photos. I don't get it. I'll keep fiddling with it, though. Thanks for your helpful words and for visiting my new blog (and inspiring me to want to do this myself - hope you don't mind if I borrow my favorite feature of your blogs and include book reviews!).