Wednesday, May 7, 2008

For Every Life, God Has a Purpose!

When I was three, a medical miracle occurred in my life (I don't have time to share that story now, but will at some point). As a small child, I would stand up in church and give my testimony of that miracle. It usually included all the salient points my parents had taught me. It was very moving. From an early age, I had a story to tell and I wanted to tell it.

The key lesson I came away with, all those years ago, was that God has a purpose for every life and in particular, God had a purpose in allowing my life to continue instead of ending on that fateful day when it, by all means, could have. In the beginning, it was incredibly inspiring. God wanted me to continue living. God had something important He wanted me to do, so He left me here to do it.

But, I have to admit, as the years have passed, this story hasn't always felt inspirational. Sometimes that purpose has felt like an expectation unfulfilled. I have struggled with feelings of inadequacy. I have wondered, "Am I accomplishing all that God desired when He chose to give me a second shot at my life?" I have been prone to line my life up against others and ask whether my life bears enough meaning.

Yet, in the back of my mind, I do fully believe that God has a purpose for my life and for every life that He brings into being. As I have said before, if one of my children had been born with some physical or mental disability, I would have still considered their life to be precious and valuable. I would have cherished their existence and would have, doubtless, grown and learned much through their very being and my role as a mother to that child.

Tonight, while visiting Dace's blog I stumbled upon a YouTube video of a man born with no arms or legs. He has inspired many people with his story. He is further evidence that God has a purpose for every life and that purpose isn't really dependent upon circumstances changing or improving. The YouTube video of Nick Vujicic is six minutes long. If you would rather view a shorter piece, I found an ABC news video which is only two minutes long (I'm sorry I didn't get to see the 20/20 piece back in March). Take your pick, but take a look, and never doubt that God has a plan and a purpose for your life. The tricky part is, sometimes, finding it.

4 comments:

dace said...

i look forward to hearing your story, Wendy, one day! I really do!

Maria (also Bia) said...

Wow. I am truly humbled. Thank you for sharing this.

God bless.

Wendy Hill said...

Dace - I was thrilled to see your comment. I'll let you know when I post the miracle story. I think I mentioned it once before (Sarah already heard it - from the pulpit in England - but she has probably forgotten, ha! Test her knowledge of her good friend, Wendy!

Bia - Wasn't that inspiring! I'd love to hear him speak. There was a photo on the 20/20 background information page, showing him riding a skateboard at age 10. Amazing!

Amber said...

My second born was a miracle pregnancy (wasn't supposed to be able to get pregnant) and then she was a miracle birth (healed from the heart deformities she had). I feel inadequate to be her mother and like I don't appreciate the miracle that it is that she's here enough.