Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Spectacular Summer Start

My ES finished out the school year at the end of last week. Having been a teacher, I tend to view summer the same way students do. I say, "Yippee, let the good times roll!" Although, I'm not generally a list-maker, I've always made lists of things I'd like to do and places I'd like to go during my summers. So, I promptly had my ES make up a list (he thought it was as bad as homework) of all the things he would like to do or accomplish this summer (not that we will, necessarily, get to all of them). I also asked him to think up at least one thing he could do for each member in this family over the summer.

Then, last night, I headed to Testosterhome's site and saw that she is making up a summer reading list for her sons. Every year, I've been able to cajole my ES into joining the library summer reading program. Last year, I was thrilled to learn that summer readers could earn a ticket to Indiana Beach (one of ES's favorite amusement parks in this area, and one of my favorite parks because you can actually pay a small walk-on fee and accompany your family without riding any rides - very helpful the two summers when I was pregnant recently). I'm hoping they will offer that again, because that is REAL INCENTIVE in my son's eyes (especially since Indiana Beach is introducing a new roller coaster this summer).

So far, we have had a great start to our summer. We were blessed with a visit from the paternal grandparents for the Memorial Day weekend and my boys soaked up their love and attention. My hubby and I, actually headed out for dinner alone in celebration of my birthday (we can't even remember the last time we had that option) and found a Mexican restaurant where the food was fantastic. We had been big fans of Eduardo's back in DeKalb, IL, so it was nice to find somewhat of an equivalent here.

Before they returned home, my mother-in-law gave my two older sons money for a Blizzard at Dairy Queen, so I wasn't too surprised when they approached me at breakfast this morning to ask if we could go to Dairy Queen today. I said, "Alas, I have other plans for you. But first we must get this place straightened up, so we can head out." I told my ES the plans (which involved using some Chuck-E-Cheese birthday tokens he had received on-line back in the beginning of May - I was worried they might expire before we got a chance to use them) and he immediately kicked into action.

My MS was putzing all the way. Finally, he only had one task left (putting all the costumes back in the two costume boxes, because he had strewn them all over my room, thank you very much!), but he just wouldn't move. So, I put the lunches, birthday coupon and report card in the van, loaded the other boys and said, "I guess you don't want to go to CEC." It was as if I had lit a stick of dynamite. He will never again be able to tell me that he cannot pick up his room! He did the job in record time!

We had a wonderful time (despite the fact that I struggled a bit trying to keep up with a 3 yr. old and 1 yr. old who both want to wander off in opposite directions) and didn't spend a cent. I should add that we still had a cup of tokens left over from our last visit, but the extra 35 free tokens were a help! My ES saves his tickets for big purchases (I mean the ones which require 10,000 tickets) but my MS loves to get just a little something. He was quite happy leaving with a small spider and a small lizard.

We ate lunch in the van, went grocery shopping and headed home for naps. ES had a friend over for a few hours during nap-time and I enjoyed the quiet. Then, we all headed outside to play and wait for Daddy to return home from work. The boys love to see who can be the first one to spot Daddy's black car approaching.

Finally, a black car loomed. However, our neighbors, who live in a beautiful home across the street and have horses in their pasture, also have a black car. So, the boys groaned when the car turned into their driveway instead of ours. Our neighbor got out of the car and went to get her mail. Then, she began heading our way.

What a delightful visit we had. She apologized profusely for not coming over to introduce herself sooner (especially when she discovered that ES had been through two school years here) but I thought she shouldn't feel badly at all about it. They have grown children and go to and from work. Her husband had come over to help us plow out the driveway at the first horrendous snow-fall and that was a god-send because we didn't have sufficient tools to plow out the snow and ice then.

I have to say, I felt immediately comfortable with her. She was so easy to talk to and I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation. It was fun to discover she has a son who lives in London (yes, you know how that makes me feel, people!). I introduced her to my boys, who were all on the trampoline at that moment. My ES was polite and my MS was desperate to tell her everything about us, but my YS merely continued to play and allowed Mom a chance to have a little visit with a neighbor (something I will never take lightly again - having lived in the country!). When my hubby came home, he chatted with her as well. I am so glad she came over. It really brightened my day (a good one, already) and made for a spectacular start to our summer!

A tiny tinge of guilt - I could have easily gone over and introduced myself to her one day, as well, but didn't! Perhaps, I will make her a batch of my famous (o.k., it is only famous in DeKalb, IL) banana-chocolate-chip bread, to let her know how much I enjoyed meeting her!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, thought you'd like to know that Indiana Beach also has a new MySpace page (www.myspace.com/indianabeachresort). They are also doing a short-video contest through MySpace to find the first patron to ride the Steel Hawg when it opens this summer

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a WONDERFUL start to summer vacation!! Oh, how I wish I could stay home with my son all summer long and not have to leave to go to an office! Enjoy each and every day--even though some days will be stressful and you'll want to pull your hair out. Cherish the time as they grow so quickly!! I like your idea of making one of your famous breads for your neighbor with a little note for them to remember your names and perhaps a phone number. I think I've told you banana choc chip bread is one of our favorites too!! :) We live in the country too--though it is a country neighborhood and all the lots are 1-3 acres. Far enough apart that you don't really hear much of what's going on at anyone else's house and you have to make a deliberate attempt to talk to a neighbor. We have a number of neighbors we've never met and we've been here 4 years. We usually make an effort to bring something to a new neighbor and to introduce ourselves, but only one neighbor made a special trip over when we moved in. We happen to have a pool and our first summer here invited some neighbors over to get to know them. Everyone seemed to have a great time, but no one reciprocated (except the ones who first greeted us so thoughtfully). It's hard to know about how much some people want to keep to themselves. I guess we try to extend some warmth and then let it up to others to see how its received. We're all busy, so its not like we're looking for best friends in the neighborhood--but we do like to be friendly. ~Karin

Amy Sorensen said...

Our schools get out on Friday, and I've been overwhelmed with that feeling of FREEDOM approaching! I think once you've taught, there are some things that won't ever change. Glad your summer started so well---I loathe, detest, and abhor going to CEC and will only do it after much begging. You're a great mom to take TWO little ones there!!!

Maria (also Bia) said...

What a great beginning to your summer! I, too, come up with a reading list for my boys, and while our schedule is a little more relaxed, we do still keep a schedule. I guess you can call it a relaxed schedule!

Wendy Hill said...

Anonymous - thanks for the tip about the IB myspace and the contest. My son would LOVE to be the first to ride the Steel Hawg! I'll have him check it out.

Karin - Sorry you have to go to an office this summer. Yes, I do enjoy the freedom of spending my days with the boys, even if we only spend it outside. Bryce has a wicked case of poison ivy at the moment. I'll have to keep a close eye on the two little ones, but it is still nice to be outside.

Amy - Hope your new job doesn't make the FREEDOM of summer less real to you. I used to enjoy going to CEC because hubby would go off with ES and I would sit in the booth and read. Now, even when we both accompany the boys, we are kept busy chasing after them. I did keep it really short, too, though. I told the boys ahead of time that we would only stay for between 30 and 45 minutes. That's do-able.

Bia - I think I would be able to get away with a reading list for the two younger ones, but ES fights it tooth and nail. I'm grateful for the library's incentive. Last year, I think every book he read had to do with in-line skating or skateboarding. Plus, thanks to Testosterhome's blog comments, I've gleaned a few new titles to suggest to ES!