Friday, May 23, 2008

Book Review: Shopaholic Ties the Knot


I think with each Shopaholic book I read, I seem to enjoy them more! This was my favorite one yet. I have come to love Becky Bloomwood (now Brandon) and almost feel as if I know her as a real person. That is the mark of a truly good author, when readers begin to think about the characters as if they were real. And when I listened to the very last bit in the van this afternoon (on a quick KFC run), I was actually fighting jealousy over this fictional character's upcoming plans!

I chose to secure Shopaholic Ties the Knot on audiobooks at the library, even though I purchased a copy of this book last summer at a garage sale (along with three other Sophie Kinsella books). I really enjoy listening to the narrator. I am amazed at how well she reverts back and forth between British and American accents throughout this book. I know that if I ever read one of the Shopaholic books myself, I will probably hear the narrator's voice in my head.

This particular novel follows Becky Bloomwood on her journey from engagement to her wedding day. Although it only covers about a six or seven month span of time, it is a remarkably rocky journey full of typical Becky Bloomwood blunders. Her mother wishes to play an active role in planning a wedding to be held in her hometown with a reception in her own backyard (or garden, as they would call it). Her fiance's American mother then offers to finance an elaborate wedding at the Plaza Hotel. She initially refuses, knowing it would kill her mother, but she finds herself gazing at the Plaza layout and envisioning the grandiosity and she decides to postpone making a decision about which wedding she will go with.

I actually thought I had the solution figured out because there is a minor character from the previous books who shows up again. But all my suppositions were wrong. Sophie Kinsella's ending was fabulous. Truly brilliant! And I think with this novel, Kinsella's characters move beyond caricatures and develop more depth. I will happily check to see if our library has the next in the series on audiobooks. If not, I'll read it with a British accent in my head (when I returned home after living in London for 7 months, I did notice a touch of an accent, but it faded quite quickly).

I'd love to have a conversation with Sarah, from www.britgalusa.com, since she is a Brit who has moved to a remote area in Oklahoma. I have loved viewing her blog over the past several weeks. If you want to learn fun British expressions, via her "Brit-Word-of-the-Day" or view her incredible collection of handbags (one featured each day, I think) or hear what a Brit might miss while living in the US or what she thinks we do better (believe it or not - drive-through banking was her recent rave), you must pop-round to her little roundabout!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read two of her books, the first one where she meets Luke Brandon and one where she meets her sister (after she is married). The library didn't have them in the order they were written and I decided I would jump ahead anyway.

They were fun and I liked her conversational style. I did feel major anxiety about her debt, however. Again, I guess that's a sign of a good author.

Wendy Hill said...

I'm pretty OCD about reading a series in order, but if our library doesn't have the next one up, I probably will go ahead and jump to the next one they have. I bet you would enjoy listening to one of the Shopaholic books. It is wonderful to hear it with that British accent!

Anonymous said...

I will have to check this series out and have not read or listened to any of them. Thanks for the recommendation! ~Karin

Unknown said...

Wendy, I am a very friendly soul and would be delighted to chat to you anytime, thanks for the shout out :-)

I love these books too, such fun.