Saturday, May 10, 2008

100th Post - 100 Authors I Recommend

I didn't have the energy to contemplate a "100 Things About Me" post, so instead, I will give you a list of 100 authors I have read and would recommend. I'm sure I will look back and wonder at someone I obviously neglected to include. I'm sure that this list will continue to grow as the years go by. I have broken them down into two categories: authors of books for adults and authors of books for children. If I have only read one outstanding book by the author, I have added that title - they may have written more, but I've only read the one.

Here are the authors of books for adults:


  1. Mitch Albom
  2. Jeffrey Archer (I've only read his short stories)
  3. Maeve Binchy
  4. Dr. Paul Brand
  5. Emily Bronte
  6. Bill Bryson
  7. Pearl S. Buck
  8. Frederick Buechner
  9. G.K. Chesterton
  10. Ted Dekker
  11. Christopher de Vinck
  12. Charles Dickens
  13. Annie Dillard
  14. Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  15. Theodore Dreiser
  16. Daphne DuMaurier
  17. Kim Edwards (The Memory Keeper's Daughter)
  18. T.S. Eliot
  19. Elisabeth Elliot
  20. Leif Enger (Peace Like a River)
  21. Joseph F. Girzone
  22. John Grisham
  23. Mark Haddon (The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime)
  24. Tim Hansel
  25. Thomas Hardy
  26. Torey Hayden
  27. Nick Hornby
  28. Khaled Housseni
  29. Victor Hugo
  30. Karen Kingsbury
  31. Sophie Kinsella
  32. Anne Lamott
  33. C.S. Lewis
  34. Brendan Manning
  35. Catherine Marshall
  36. James Michener
  37. Margaret Mitchell (Gone With the Wind)
  38. Frank Peretti
  39. Jodi Picoult
  40. Edgar Allen Poe
  41. Francine Rivers
  42. Anita Shreve
  43. Nicholas Sparks
  44. Alexander McCall Smith
  45. John Steinbeck
  46. J.R.R. Tolkien
  47. A.W. Tozer
  48. William Trevor (The Story of Lucy Gault)
  49. Mark Twain
  50. Edith Wharton
  51. Philip Yancy


Here are the authors of books for children:

  1. Nicholas Allen (A Pig's Book of Manners)
  2. Tedd Arnold
  3. Natalie Babbitt (Tuck Everlasting)
  4. Blue Balliett
  5. Philip Beard (Dear Zoe)
  6. Judy Blume
  7. John Boyne (The Boy in the Striped Pajamas)
  8. Betsy Byars
  9. Frances Hodgson Burnett
  10. Gus Clarke
  11. Beverly Cleary
  12. Andrew Clements
  13. Roald Dahl
  14. Kate DiCamillo
  15. John R. Erickson
  16. Eleanor Estes (The Hundred Dresses)
  17. John D. Fitzgerald
  18. Louise Fitzhugh
  19. Jean Craighead George (My Side of the Mountain)
  20. Deborah Guarino (Is Your Mama a Llama?)
  21. Carl Hiaasen
  22. Jeff Kinney
  23. Kate Klise
  24. Harper Lee (To Kill a Mockingbird)
  25. Madeleine L'Engle
  26. Astrid Lindgren
  27. Lois Lowery
  28. Mercer Mayer
  29. Katherine Paterson
  30. Richard Peck
  31. H.A. Rey
  32. Cynthia Rylant
  33. J.K. Rowling
  34. Louis Sachar
  35. Graham Salisbury
  36. Dr. Seuss
  37. David Shannon
  38. Shel Silverstein
  39. Donald Sobol
  40. Eileen Spinelli
  41. Chris Van Allsburg
  42. Wendelin Van Draanen
  43. Bernard Waber
  44. Michael P. Waite (The Building Christian Character Series)
  45. Gloria Whelan (Listening for Lions)
  46. E.B. White
  47. Laura Ingalls Wilder
  48. Debbie Wiles
  49. Gene Zion
One of the most gratifying aspects to this little exercise was the response of my ES. I began by perusing all the books on my bookshelves and then looked at the books on ES, MS and YS's shelves. When I was looking over ES's books, I told him what I was doing and he asked if I was putting my name on the list. I explained that I don't have a book published yet. He then mentioned the title of one of my children's picture books and also gave the plot-line to one of my young adult novels. He ACTUALLY knows and remembers what I have written, and HE considers me an AUTHOR!

I do still have hope for him. He received two books by Jeff Kinney for his birthday from his younger siblings. At first, he felt that they were books and began to grumble. But, when he opened them, he was actually thrilled! Yah for good books and double yah for good authors!

3 comments:

Maria (also Bia) said...

Your 100th post? Congratulations! I like many of your author picks . . . especially Jodi Picoult who writes so beautifully.

Leah said...

Yay! Great to peruse your list. Perhaps another day when you have oodles of time you could post a nice long list of top books? I know you read a lot and do a lot of reviews...
Interesting that you classified "A Curious Incident..." as a children's book. That is one of my all-time faves.

Wendy Hill said...

Bia - yes, it is amazing, I'm already at 100!

Ciboulette - Oh, you have caught me out. Yes, the "Curious Incident ..." book was a wonderful one, but the Mark Haddon name should have been on the top. I guess I was thinking of it as a YA book, but, really, I couldn't even let my pre-teen listen to the book with me because there were so many profanities. I'll try to go back and rework it. This throws off the even 50-50. HMMM ...