Thursday, May 1, 2008

Will I Survive?

For the past three weeks, we have been talking around the subject of a birthday party for my ES. He asked if he could invite a few guys to spend the night. OK. That is do-able. He asked if he could have a bonfire in the back yard and invite a few girls just for pizza, cake and the bonfire (with only the boys staying). We'll see. We asked if he wanted us to buy invitations or merely print some up, as we have always done in the past. He wasn't sure.

At first, he wanted the party to be on Saturday night. Then, one particular girl couldn't come on Saturday, so he switched it to Friday. Then, my husband logged on and saw that the forecast was for rain. Monday, he still wasn't ready to think about invitations. Finally, he decided he would just call the individuals (that makes it sound like a small number, doesn't it???)

Last night, we convinced him that, due to the weather forecast and lack of firm invitations, we should switch the party to next Friday. This morning, he calls from school to beg to put it back to this Friday. Apparently, there is a big walk-a-thon going on next Friday night and everyone will be attending that. He doesn't want to have nobody show up for his party. On the spot, I said, "I don't know. I guess so. We'll have to confirm it with dad, though."

I love it how pre-teens leave out certain bits of information when dealing with parents (I have a feeling this is typical). When he arrived home from school, I informed him that his dad wasn't thrilled with the quick switch and fully expected his room to be immaculate when he came home from work. He accused us of not wanting him to have a party or have a good time to celebrate his birthday. Then, he pulled the "everybody else gets to have a big party." I reminded him that we weren't ever planning on a big party - just a few guys and girls. He finally drops the full scenario of the phone call.

He and his friend, Matt, were in the school office together to make the plea. When I tentatively agreed, they decided to make up invitations there in the office. They wrote down details on a piece of paper and made TWENTY copies! What were the details? Party at B------'s house, address, Friday 5-9:30. Oh joy!

There is an 80% chance of rain. ES keeps saying, "Yes, but weathermen are always wrong." We shall see. I can imagine 20 kids passing the invitations on to 20 more kids. I have visions of 30 kids showing up, traipsing through our house with muddy shoes, running in and out of the house to jump on the trampoline in the rain, spilling pop on the carpet, etc. I'm sure this idea took root a few months ago, when he attended that classmate's boy-girl party (didn't I remember how communication was a problem with the details on that party as well???).

So, tonight I purchased a few more bags of chips, cans of pop, and a cake mix. I tried to search for a clearanced cake. Our Wal-mart in IL, used to have a rack at the back of the store with a sign which read "OOPS, we over-baked," holding baked goods marked down 40%. I couldn't find the rack, so I asked a worker, "Do you have a rack where you have marked down bakery items? The "oops, we over-baked" section?"

The worker looked at me as if I'd gone off my rocker! "If we over-baked it, I'm sure we'd have to just throw it out."

I tried to explain the sign above the rack at my old Wal-mart. Again, appalled, "We wouldn't sell over-baked items."

Finally, I said, "I mean they've baked too many items and now are trying to sell the extra bits at a reduced price!"

At last, recognition. "Oh, the 40%-off-cart! That is only out in the mornings until 4 p.m."

"Thanks, anyway." Groan.

Well, the cake is made. I will frost it tomorrow. I will bake up a huge batch of pizza rolls. I will pour chips into bowls. I will try to keep little boys out of the way and still manage to get them to bed by 8:30. ES had better do his part and re-inform his friends that this shindig is only from 6-9. And if not, well, I'm sure we're all going to learn a valuable lesson in communication through this whole fiasco. Let's hope that at least someone has a good time in the mix. Though, I'm doubting it will be me!

6 comments:

Amber said...

It'll be fine! I hope it works out great for you. (And him)

Cate Subrosa said...

Aw, they're going to have a blast! He's getting all grown up, eh? :-)

Anonymous said...

I know its extra work on short notice, but look at it this way. You'll have an opportunity to observe your child and his friends. I have always hoped as my own son grows older, that my house can be a place that he hangs out with his friends so that I can stay involved. Be happy that he wants to have it at your house in the first place! Hang in there!! ~Karin

Anonymous said...

Oh I have a stomach ache *for* you just thinking about all of the kids, the mud, the mess, the mayhem and trying to keep the baby out of the way.

Good luck!

BBBGirl said...

Stay cool and "never let them see you sweat"! Be glad your ES has a good social life and has plenty of friends. It's a great way to get to know them. Hang in there!

Amy Sorensen said...

Oh yeah. I HATE throwing birthday parties. But if I thought the dynamics of 22 8-year-olds making princess jewelry were difficult? Adolescent parties are even worse. I hope you survived and that it didn't rain!!!