Friday, March 2, 2012

Book Review: Bras & Broomsticks


I picked this book up merely because I was looking for a good book to listen to in the car on my long drive to book club. At the outset, I almost gave up before giving it a chance because I felt loathe to attempt another "magic" story. Boy, am I glad I didn't turn it off.

Bras & Broomsticks was absolutely delightful. First of all, Sarah Mlynowski has really captured an authentic teen voice for her main character, Rachel. The narration was funny and true and heart-warming, all at the same time. The metaphors and similes were fresh and humorous. I laughed out loud numerous times. Moreover, even though I could tell where the plot was leading, the climax both moved me to tears and had me rolling on the front seat with laughter. That's quite a feat!

The best description for this book would be a modern day retelling of "The Parent Trap," aimed at the nine to twelve age range. Imagine two sisters who are about to be forced to accept someone they have dubbed STB (step-monster-to-be). But, maybe they won't have to lie down and accept that fate because they have just learned that the younger sister, Miri, is a witch and has magical powers. Older sister, Rachel, can't imagine what harm could come from milking the situation for a chance at popularity, the ability to dance, the return of her best friend and the demise of her father's fateful decision to remarry. But, alas, magic, like life, has consequences both good and bad.

I loved this book. It was fresh and funny. I can't wait to read more of Sarah Mlynowski's books (there are sequels to this one). I'll be up for some more gut-wrenching laughter and heart-tugging tears.

No comments: