Thursday, July 7, 2016

Book Review: The Daniel Prayer

The journal I purchased for this year (sadly, I'm not doing well at all in keeping it up), has a wonderful feature in the back with a year-long Bible reading plan. It works through the entire Bible in the space of a year, so the portions of daily reading are never too overwhelming, but significant enough to glean something each day. Moreover, after stumbling upon the Sweet Blessings website, I have taken to writing out Scripture using her monthly plans (although, if July's topic doesn't suit me, I might simply find verses I wish to cement in my brain).

Like my intentions to better journal my days, my intentions for prayer have gone by the wayside, as well. When I used to walk along the high school track, I would spend the time praying. But now that I walk on the treadmill more frequently and listen to books on CD instead of praying, I have found that my prayer life has suffered. Sure, I pray throughout the day for various things and offer up instant thanks when He answers frantic petitions (like when I left my cell phone in a shopping cart at the store a few weeks ago and thanked Him repeatedly when it was found still in the cart), but I'm sorely lacking in concentrated prayer time.

Anne Graham Lotz, daughter to evangelist Billy Graham, writes in The Daniel Prayer: Prayer That Moves Heaven and Changes Nations about the importance of concentrated, intentional prayer time. Following the life and prayers of Daniel, the author recommends diligent, fervent prayer for our lives and our nation. We cannot afford to be lackluster in our prayer life and God is waiting for us to step up to the plate and petition Him boldly on behalf of our nation.

As the inside cover proclaims, "The Daniel Prayer is not an everyday type of prayer. It's a prayer birthed under pressure. Heartache. Grief. Desperation. Or it can be triggered by a sudden revelation of hope. And answer to prayer. A promise freshly received. A miracle that lies just over the horizon. But whether you pray out of triumph or tragedy, The Daniel Prayer works!"

This book is a call to repentance and a plea for revival. Lotz doesn't mince words when she addresses the ills of our present national crisis spiritually. But, she doesn't dwell on despair either. She focuses her energies on the powerful, living God as the answer to every problem in our lives and in our world. She speaks Scripture boldly: "Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity. Who knows? He may turn and have pity and leave behind a blessing." (Joel 2:13-14)

If you feel a growing sense of disillusionment with our society and our governmental structure, if you crave a deeper prayer life, if you wish to bend the Lord's ear in a mighty and powerful way, you cannot go wrong by starting with this book and following it up with dedication to spend time in the Lord's Word and in communication with your Maker. You will not regret the time spent in these pages for they will inspire you to take action. Truly, "the effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16 - KJV)

No comments: