Sunday, June 4, 2017

Book Review: My Anxious Mind

Mostly, I read My Anxious Mind: A Teen's Guide to Managing Anxiety and Panic to further understand the main character in one of my YA novels. That character suffers from severe social anxiety and I wanted to read more about the strategies for combating the intense discomfort and panic she experiences in the novel. However, I must admit, I hoped to glean strategies for myself, as well. While I never used to experience anxiety at all (not even for speaking in front of others), ever since my third child was born, I have battled various episodes of extreme anxiety (including a few full-blown panic attacks). Indeed, as I think of my upcoming Europe trip, I'm overwhelmed with feelings of inadequacy for handling the anxieties travel will no doubt stir in me.

Although the book is geared toward teenagers, the steps for managing anxiety and panic are helpful across the board. If you have a teen battling anxiety issues, I would highly recommend this resource. The book breaks down the complexities of such disorders into simple terms, with ample illustrations, and highlights various ways to retrain self-talk and calm agitated nerves.

No comments: